Remote SAM/DB set up

Talk about whatever.
FM5280

Remote SAM/DB set up

Post by FM5280 »

Jay,

What would you recommend as a remote server that would support running SAM and having it's database on the same box? Is Windows Server 2003 the only answer running MSSQL? I want to get away from having SAM running on my home PC and having the web site making connections to the mysql db on my home PC.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

You can do database replication with mysql if you are willing to get away from MSSQL. The replicated data could run on the webserver and pull updates from your home pc without having to deal with web traffic going to your home pc.

If you are dead set on going completely remote (which I recommend for good uptime) then a Windows 2003 box will do just fine. If you need ACG then you might want to get something beefy but stay away from dual cores as I am seeing reports of bugs in SAM related to dual core. Hyperthreading machines do fine as I run SAM on an HT machine and it runs fantastically.
- Jay
FM5280

Post by FM5280 »

That's the idea to get everything remote. Would you recommend against trying to run a streaming server on that same box? SAM/Database/Streaming all from the same box? Assuming proper bandwidth from a datacenter of course.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

All of it should be able to run on the same box.
- Jay
Mxhub
Stream Host

Post by Mxhub »

I advise running on the same box as well. Not too confusing.
mouse2mouse
Stream Host

Post by mouse2mouse »

5280 - we've completed such a setup for a couple of our clients.

In one instance, we actually utilised a different server to stream their signal.

They were happy to utilise two servers for maximum resilience - simply a case of customer preference.

SAM4 and the database are running very happily on a Windows 2003 server.

We used a firebird database as opposed to mySQL.

They have control to SAM via Remote Desktop Connection (as do we).

We've written a couple of automated housekeeping PAL scripts that automate the archive and retrieval of live programmes etc - in order to minimise the requirement for daily human based management.

The station mentioned in this case has been on air for about three months solid without any breaks or problems.

Another client has a similar setup except that the Windows 2003 server also acts as the broadcast stream server. Again - works well.