conXis Gong Show Should Have Been Gonged

Talk about whatever.
paulmaze

conXis Gong Show Should Have Been Gonged

Post by paulmaze »

My station, Technicolor Web of Sound - 60s Psychedelic Web Radio, was featured on the conXis 'Gong Show' last night. To my disappointment, there were several major problems with the program:

1) The show itself was over an hour late. Blaming it on 'Technical Difficulties' or 'Heavy Chicago Snow' doesn't make it in my opinion. If you’re going to schedule something on live webcast, have the professionalism to make sure you're prepared and on-time.

2) When the show finally started after 8:00PM Central, it was unbelievably disorganized. The judges, and even organizers/hosts, were making up the rules as they went along and were inconsistent with their judging criteria.

3) Once they finally started judging, after several painful minutes of listening to the organizers attempting to install Real on a computer, it took over 30-minutes to get through the first three stations! Since the original Gong Show, I hadn't heard as many bad jokes and geeky references while they painfully kept trying to get the ball rolling. To put timeline into perspective, I was the fourth station judged, so I only had to wait about 1 hr., 45 min. from the time the show was originally scheduled to begin!

4) Once they got to my station, they mentioned the website and started the stream. Within 30-45 seconds, I was gonged without any comments on my website or the listening content. My biggest beef here is that if you're going to slam someone else's station, at least have the courtesy and professionalism to explain why!

In conclusion, I will admit that I was a little upset for being gonged, but I was more upset that I wasn't given any criticism/feedback, constructive or otherwise, as to why.

My station is a hobby and nothing more, but I've amassed a loyal group of listeners who love the stream and the website, including well known musicians from the 60s psychedelic era. I figured that since conXis was supposed to be geared towards the small, independent broadcaster, I would sign up for the Gong Show to get feedback on how to improve my broadcast and website...I was dead wrong. I'm just glad I didn't spend the $300+ to experience this disaster in-person.

Gong!!!!!!!!!!

Paul - Technicolor Web of Sound
www.techwebsound.com
Progged

Post by Progged »

I had my schedule veto'd by the boss (wife), so I didn't get to listen to the gong show live. I did cast save it, and seeked until I got to my station rating. I must say, your gonging without comment is rather weak, and the "panel" should have given some sort of criticism as to why you were gonged. I plan on checking out the stations they rated later tonight or tomorrow. I got a less than pretty rating from Jay and Rockie, but at least I received some constructive views from both of them. Some I agree with, and will change, others, probably not... Overall, it was disorganized, but I don't think it was advertised as this super professional event, where the panel was expected to give massive feedback to each station. But I am on your side; I think you got ripped off...
Chan Weinmeister
Progged Radio
http://www.progradio.net/progged
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

come on guys, I mean really, I realize that you may be unhappy with the result and well as a judge we are entitled to our own opinions. Once again we have someone who took it way too seriously. I only did as the host asked me, the judges were not previewed to any rules but the ones outlined by the host. So what you heard was what we heard.

I am sorry that you found it dissappointing, but it is a game, you signed on knowing that you could get just about anything and without prior knowledge of how it even worked.

You should also forward your comments to ConXis and let them know how you feel. They can make the neccessary changes for the next conference.
Freddy

uhh :)

Post by Freddy »

I totally missed the live broadcast, where can you find the results of the gongshow ? I added my station also but well can't find the results.. I want to know if i was gonged :P
PureDJ Internet Radio
http://www.puredj.com
Progged

Post by Progged »

Jay wrote: come on guys, I mean really, I realize that you may be unhappy with the result and well as a judge we are entitled to our own opinions. Once again we have someone who took it way too seriously. I only did as the host asked me, the judges were not previewed to any rules but the ones outlined by the host. So what you heard was what we heard.
I may have taken it too seriously Jay, honestly, but this was kind of like vindication from our peers and betters... I did think you guys should have said something why you gonged Paul's site. I mean really Jay, I know if somebody mentioned something negative about Shoutclub in an open forum, you would have been irritated too (and I've seen that in action.) I just hope that you view this in the light, that a lot of webcasters are very passionate about what they do, and if someone insults their work, don't expect them to take it lightly. ALSO, humor to someone, is an insult to someone else sometimes... (enuf of me lecturing...)

I actually was pleased with the results you guys gave me, and you made some suggestions to fix what you didn't like. I especially don't agree with you on the hTtP lashing you gave me, because I have had SEVERAL listeners say they dig it. But the other suggestions have merit.

Chan
Chan Weinmeister
Progged Radio
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

I am not disputing his argument. I know that the judges were not given the opportunity to explain why he was gonged. My point is that he really should be taking this up with ConXis, they are the ones who can change the rules for next year. What's done is done and I am not going to apologize for something that I had no control of.
ConXis

Gong Show Response...

Post by ConXis »

Hi Everyone,

I realize that there are some hard feelings by some participants, and I am sorry about that. But I knew that when I started planning this there wouild be. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Sure, there should have been more explanation. However, there were 30+ stations that were rated and logistically, you cant spend 10 minutes on each one. You can't.

The scores will be posted shortly at www.conxis.org in addition to a update to the website and new sections in the forums.

The delay to 8 pm was unavoidable. Had you been there, you would have seen why, with the last minute addition of talk on how to combat the CARP ruling and all. That started at 5 pm and lasted until 6:45. People gotta take a leak, get something to eat, change clothes, ect. I myself had to get some technical stuff taken care of.

The 2 hours between the scheduled end of the last session and the gong show was supposed to take care of these problems and make sure that our streaming laptop for retriving content was ready. That did not happen and when the next ConXis event occurs, there will be a better plan of attack in the form of a "stream-team" that will be able to devote it's energies there. Of course, this means that volunteers will be needed, but that discussion is for another time.

Flame me, praise me, call me what you will... The Gong Show was enjoyed by the majority at the conference and I have only seen a handful of postings that were negative and no negative emails have been sent in.

Thanks,
Chris J. Popp
ConXis Co-Chair
Progged

Post by Progged »

Chris,

I thought the whole thing was done well for throwing it together as fast as you had too, and I personally had no hard feelings for the rating of my station. My whole post was an attempt at empathy for a fellow caster that felt slighted. Please don't take my post as a negative one.
Chan Weinmeister
Progged Radio