Using mp3 toolbox on a local intranet AND the internet

Ask Questions or make comments about Mp3 Toolbox
Soundfx4

Using mp3 toolbox on a local intranet AND the internet

Post by Soundfx4 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:04 pm

I'm having some problems here, and it may actually be with the web server I'm using, but at this point I'm not sure so I thought I'd start by asking here.

A while back I installed mp3 toolbox on my pc so I could stream music to myself at work, and it worked great. AFAIK I was also able to use it on my local network without changing anything. However I had to format, and re-install my OS so I also had to re-install my web server, and mp3 toolbox. When I re-installed mp3 toolbox I discovered that it wasn't working anywhere. Not on the internet and not on my local network. After a quick check around I found that the pls file was pointing too http:///music directory here. I was able to go into one of the files and I changed the address for the different commands (play directory, play all, radio) to the proper sub-domain. After that it worked great, however, now the PLS files ALWAYS point to my sub-domain, so even when I'm browsing locally, it goes out to the internet, and comes back in. It is very annoying, and I"m not sure how to fix this problem . Does anyone has any idea what could be going on?

Thanks.

Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:07 am

the pls script needs access to the HTTP_HOST environmental variable in php, so if your webserver is not passing that then mp3 toolbox will not be able to know what domain to put in the PLS file.
- Jay

Soundfx4

Post by Soundfx4 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:12 pm

Ok, then it is my web server. But...how exactly do I do this? I'm using Apache webserver, and I used the devside.net installer. I don't remember doing anything different to my webserver last time, so I'm not sure what I need to do.

Thanks.

Soundfx4

Post by Soundfx4 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:23 pm

It never did this before, I had to of done something different, but I don't know what.

To be honest, I really don't know exactly what you are talking about either. I understand that it isn't generating the correct address, but that is as far as my understanding goes :(

Soundfx4

Post by Soundfx4 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:27 pm

I don't want to sound like a complete jerk, but unfortunately there is no way of saying what I'm about to say without at least sounding like a semi-jerk, so here goes.

I really need some help with this, and the fact that nobody is saying anything, and the fact that Jay has not followed up is starting to upset me a little. I know you are busy, but I'd really like to know how to fix this problem so I can get on with my life.

Thanks.

There, that is the best I can do, I hope it wasn't too objectionable.

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:25 pm

honestly there is not much more I can add, just make sure you are running the last apache and php4 versions.

This issue is kind of outside of mp3 toolbox unfortunately.
- Jay

Soundfx4

Post by Soundfx4 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:29 pm

aaah, crap :( ok, well thanks for the response, I'll check on a few things, something obviously isn't working right. Thanks again.

Soundfx4

Post by Soundfx4 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:34 pm

wait a sec, my php folder says php5, that wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?

Jay

Post by Jay » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:22 pm

mp3 toolbox has not been tested to work with PHP5 so roll back to PHP4 for best results.
- Jay

Soundfx4

Post by Soundfx4 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:30 pm

oh, ok, thanks, I'll do that and let you know if it works. Thank you for the info!

Soundfx4

Post by Soundfx4 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:04 pm

It still isn't working! This is really starting to p**s me off! I don't understand what the h*ll is going on! The first time I installed MP3 toolbox I had NO problems, and everything worked. Now I'm getting this BS! I'm not doing anything different and I don't have time to learn about web server applications right now...grrrr....

I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at the situation, I feel like a cow just stood above my head and let go, and I'm unbelievably frustrated. :(

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:16 am

I would completely understand your frustration. I would recommend just starting from scratch on the webserver and php installs. It may be that your webserver is using old php5 libs.
- Jay

Soundfx4

Post by Soundfx4 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:14 pm

heh, well you see, I did actually. :P

I don't know anything about web server apps, so in order to get rid of the php5 install, and replace it with php4, I had to re-install and older devside.net web server suite haha :lol:

I thought it would work for sure, and was surprised that it didn't. I guess I'll have to do some reading on php :?

anyway, thanks for all the help, if I ever figure out what the problem is, I'll post back. Thanks again.

Soundfx4

Post by Soundfx4 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:14 pm

GOT IT WORKING!! Thanks go a member of webmasterworld.com! I'm glad I joined that place! Heh :D

I went in their and asked about it, and they gave me a string to replace in the index.php file, and it works on my intranet, the internet, AND localhost now!

I don't really know if it was ok for me to do that though, since it isn't my program, so I wanted to make sure that was fine, so if you could let me know if slightly modifying the code was okay, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.