IE Browser question (may be a general issue)

Ask Questions or make comments about Mp3 Toolbox
Post Reply
radiodips
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:50 am

IE Browser question (may be a general issue)

Post by radiodips »

This may be a more general topic that mp3toolbox.

I have couple of problems that I want to ask about

1. When I try to connect to my mp3toolbox stream from
different machines in my home, I notice that in one of them
IE always brings up the download prompt. How do I direct
the stream to winamp ? Is it a mime type issue or some
kind of browser setting ? All of the IEs are 6.0 with
whatever is the latest update from microsoft. But none of
the other machines have this problem.

2. A few of my friends at work were trying to connect to my
mp3 stream on my laptop. For couple of them it worked
fine. For others their winamp gets launched, but nothing
happens after that!

Would appreciate some pointers.

Many thanks
d

User avatar
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)
Posts: 2942
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2002 12:48 am
Location: Next Door
Contact:

Re: IE Browser question (may be a general issue)

Post by Jay »

radiodips wrote:1. When I try to connect to my mp3toolbox stream from
different machines in my home, I notice that in one of them
IE always brings up the download prompt. How do I direct
the stream to winamp ? Is it a mime type issue or some
kind of browser setting ? All of the IEs are 6.0 with
whatever is the latest update from microsoft. But none of
the other machines have this problem.
Well what I would do in this situation is delete the PLS association in your system all together (the one winamp created) then re-associate it manually. All this can be done in your Files Type setting under Folder Options in your OS.
radiodips wrote: 2. A few of my friends at work were trying to connect to my
mp3 stream on my laptop. For couple of them it worked
fine. For others their winamp gets launched, but nothing
happens after that!
They may be suffering from the same problem as mentioned above or it could be something wrong with the way the script is tricking there system.

The way mime types work in mp3toolbox's situation is using the Content-Type: header, it is set for audio/x-scpls rather then having an extension PLS for the filename. This is just the nature of the beast with IE however. They override any Content-Type header much of the time with an association of a File Type Extension. So if you say direct someone to myhost.com/mp3toolbox/index.php then your system will try to associate with php FIRST before associating with the content type header. And therefore have problems. However if you direct them to myhost.com/mp3toolbox/ (note without the filename) then your OS has no choice but to trust the Content-Type header.

So in a nut shell be sure that the url you give to folks does not include the script name. That may or may not fix this problem.
- Jay

radiodips
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:50 am

Post by radiodips »

After trying all kind of stuff what seems to be working
for the IE on my home PC is - I changed the extension
of the PHP script to m3u. :(

I am yet to try it with my friends at work and see if
gets around the other problem.

thanks
d

User avatar
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)
Posts: 2942
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2002 12:48 am
Location: Next Door
Contact:

Post by Jay »

You might want to try out beta 3. I have sent some extra headers in the PLS download that might force IE to handle it correctly.
- Jay

Post Reply