ripping speed???

Ask Questions or make comments about Mp3 Toolbox
djamps

ripping speed???

Post by djamps »

damn, is there a way to prevent streamripper from ripping songs at full download speed?? like some sort of timer that allows only a certain kbps to be reached b4 it is throttled?.. i can rip the songs at like 300kbytes per second!! it brings the website to it's knees...

Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

are you using streamripper on mp3 toolbox? I know of no such feature in stream ripper.
- Jay

djamps

Post by djamps »

yes, streamripper works with mp3 toolbox. It rips at full download speed. Someone informed me of this yesterday, and i tested it -- sure enough, it's true. simply paste the url into the proggie and watch it download at light speed. While ripping, the server load was high enough to slow page loading to a near halt. hopefully there is a way to limit the maximum speed -- it doesnt have to be relative to the mp3 bitrate, just something sensible - like 300kbits or something. I was able to retrieve over 100 megs of mp3 files in a couple minutes. go ahead and give it a shot, see what i'm talking about.

Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

here's a thought, I could institute a speed limit on listen and radio functions of radiotoolbox, this speed limit would determine when an mp3 was consumed too quickly that the client must be running a ripper and therefore drop the connection.
- Jay

djamps

Post by djamps »

Jay wrote:here's a thought, I could institute a speed limit on listen and radio functions of radiotoolbox, this speed limit would determine when an mp3 was consumed too quickly that the client must be running a ripper and therefore drop the connection.
that's a fabulous idea. make sure it allows the initial pre-buffer up to a reasonable size - i.e. 512k or so, initially, i guess... keep up the good work, man. I await the ripper proof mp3 toolbox!