Multiple php.exe proccesses not self terminating?

Ask Questions or make comments about Mp3 Toolbox
DrewSy

Multiple php.exe proccesses not self terminating?

Post by DrewSy »

I have a problem where when you listen to a link in the mp3 toolbox page, it launch's a php.exe proccess in the task manager. if you close the link the proccess stays active until you terminate it manually. therefore, if you or someone else click on multiple links say just for browsing purposes, it will fill up the task mangager's proccess tab with a bunch of php.exe's which never terminate, then bogging down the server to a crawl. has anyone seen this before? I urge some of you to test this. Please comment reguarding this matter. I have checked the configuration file and found nothing. thanks in advance for any help.

Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

the problem here is that you are running PHP in CGI/Stand Alone Mode. What Type of Web server are you using? Apache allows it to become a module which fixes this problem. I found that in this particular situation mp3 toolbox did not run will with PHP running outside of the webserver process.

Does this occur when you listen to an individual song? or Radio mode? or both and if an individual song does the process eventually kill itself? It should terminate immediatly after the connection is killed, if not it might have been fixed in beta 6 which shows you in real time how many users are connected btw. ;)
- Jay

DrewSy

Post by DrewSy »

I am using IIS 5.0. I dont have beta 6, and the proccesses dont die when either mode is invoked, radio or individual. I'm very green on apache. I know IIS 5.0 pretty well. here is my php test link.

http://downloadfilez.hn.org/cgi-bin/wwhog/test.php

This is a very annoying problem. I really like the script too.

I hope you can help me find an answer.
Thanks.

Jay

Post by Jay »

well I'll certainly look into it, I won't leave ya hanging. I just wanted to point out those things first.

One thing we can try right quick is to comment out ignore_user_abort functions, go into the index.php script and search out for that function, put // in front of all occurances of it, and save the script.

Then see if it still continues to hang.
- Jay

DrewSy

Post by DrewSy »

WoW! You realy know your stuff! The proccesses terminate now. I never thought it would be that simple. If I run into anymore problems, I'll let you know. Great response time on the forum! I''l be checking up on the site frequently, L8r. DFileZ

DrewSy

Post by DrewSy »

Ok, new problem! I noticed this before the proccess problem. If I stream from the toolbox for more than 5 minutes the stream dies. I used a stop watch, and this number is a constant. The ListenerTime in the config file was set to 80 min and my sc_serv.ini for shoutcast was set for 600 minutes. How can this be? If I connect directly to the shoutcast server there is no problem. Go through the toolbox and the stream dies after 5 minutes. Remember I said the listener times are set greater than 5 minutes. Guess I'm not out of the woods yet! Thanks. I'm confident you have an answer.

Jay

Post by Jay »

DrewSy wrote:Ok, new problem! I noticed this before the proccess problem. If I stream from the toolbox for more than 5 minutes the stream dies. I used a stop watch, and this number is a constant. The ListenerTime in the config file was set to 80 min and my sc_serv.ini for shoutcast was set for 600 minutes. How can this be? If I connect directly to the shoutcast server there is no problem. Go through the toolbox and the stream dies after 5 minutes. Remember I said the listener times are set greater than 5 minutes. Guess I'm not out of the woods yet! Thanks. I'm confident you have an answer.
someone else had a similar problem with your type of setup, appearently IIS terminates a script process after a certain amount of time. You will have to configure IIS to allow it to run longer.
- Jay

DrewSy

Post by DrewSy »

Jay, I found the solution. Pass it on.

In IIS 5.0 goto master www properties>home directory>configuration>proccess options>cgi configuration and set the cgi script timeout to the desired time in seconds. This is to fix the web server from terminating the script and stream after the default seting of 5 minutes is reached when launching from the mp3 toolbox. Why would you want to do this? mp3z can be longer than 5 minutes. Hmmmm......

Thank's for putting me in the right direction Jay.

DFileZ