Questions & Problems

Ask Questions or make comments about Mp3 Toolbox
[email protected]

Questions & Problems

Post by [email protected] »

Ok, this looks good but...............

It takes quite a lot of attempts to get connected! Why would that be?

Is it possible to have it play back each mp3 randomly?
So for example, user A starts listening and hear's song A followed by song C followed by song B etc. At the same time user B starts listening and hears song C followed by song A etc.

I'm only interest in the RADIO link button which plays through the mp3 in my directory. I don't want my users to be able to select each individual mp3 to listen to. I'd like to incorporate the controls into my webpage graphics. Is there anyway to have a play, pause & stop command for the stream or is that specific to the player being used to play back the stream.

Is it also possible for the mp3 track names to be displayed within my page graphics?

Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

the connection problem is probably due to the amount of mp3's you are using for the radio feature. Check out the playlist script area of the config.

Random is random for everybody, someone listening to the same script in radio mode will not hear the same thing that someone else listening in radio mode will hear.

Mp3 can be incorporated into your own listen links by simply linking to the same thing that the Play: Radio link is linked to.

Play controls are specific to a player and cannot be controlled by mp3toolbox. Check out http://www.freedomaudio.com/ for an decent embedded player. Not sure if it works with mp3toolbox if it doesn't I will make an attempt at making it work with it.

Currently playing embedded into a webpage is possible but will not be accurate for the reason listed above in my explanation of how the random feature works.
- Jay

[email protected]

Hi Jay

I'll chat with you here rather than at the shoutcast site.

Right then, you say the connection problem maybe due to the amount of mp3's I have. Well I only have two short ones which I put in for testing. However, the bit rates are at 192 & 128. I don't intend to have them that high - they were just the only files I had for a quick test. Could the bit rate be the problem?
Also, how many mp3's would you suggest be placed in one folder to keep things running smooth?

I want to be compatible with 56k modem connections. What bit rate would you advise I rip my MP3's at for streaming?

I'm a bit puzzled about the embedded player idea. Forgive me for being dumb but is an embedded player exactly that? A player that is on the page so that a visitor would hear the audio even if they do not have a player installed on their computer?

Can you explain a little more about your last point? I don't quite understand what you mean about the embedded/random thing. Will it or won't this work?

Thanks for your help Jay :)

[email protected]

Would it be possible to get it to only play each mp3 once? So it would only play each mp3 once until it had gone through all the mp3's in a directory.

You would still retain the random play back for each different connection but it would avoid the possibility of one track playing and the same track follows it again.

Or perhaps something that stops a repeat of a played track until a certain time (perhaps 30 minutes)?

Jay

Post by Jay »

yes it does all of this, random without repeat until the entire directories contents have been played.

The bitrate should have no bearing unless you have a limited connection. What I meant was the amount of individual files that it would play like 10000 mp3's would certainly slow down the response time on mp3 toolbox but I have had 500 and that seems to be ok.
- Jay

[email protected]

Hi Jay

I'm having some success :)

Now, bit rates!
In the config there is the option to change the stream playback bit rate. Now I assume the lower the bit rate the lower the quality so what would be the best bitrate setting so that dialup modem users wont have problems?

Does the encoding bit rate of the mp3 make any difference to this?

I've got this strange noise on playback. It's coming from the music as if you have a loud bit music the noise is louder and if you have a quiet bit of music the noise get's quieter. It's quite constant almost like a beat but it sounds like a warbling sound like a tape getting chewed up maybe. What could cause this?

Jay

Post by Jay »

The bitrate setting in the config file should match the mp3's bitrate, frequency and channel mode.
- Jay