multiple radio on the same..

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
hmorneau

multiple radio on the same..

Post by hmorneau »

Hello,

I have read that we can do multiple mount point in the conf file. I have sucessfuly setup 2 mount point with 2 usernames. So if I try to connect 2 DJ on the port 8000 he tell me that the port is already in use, wicht port I should use for others mount point?.

Thanks
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

You need to be using the icecast streamer, not the shoutcast streamer.

Shoutcast doesn't support mountpoints, only the icecast streamer does (I'm not sure if thats only for OGG or both OGG and MP3...someone that uses it will need to confirm)
hmorneau

Post by hmorneau »

Ok, and it's not possible to specify a different port for each mount point?

Thanks
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

No, a mount point and a port are not even closely related.

You need to create a second server with a different port then your first server.
hmorneau

Post by hmorneau »

:(
hmorneau

Post by hmorneau »

that can be a very cool option to be able to set different port number for each mount point.
Lane

Post by Lane »

it's trivial to just run another instance of steamcast to get another port running. that's what I do. i'm trying imagine what the advantage would be to have multiple ports within a single conf and steamcast instance. I can't think of one.
hmorneau

Post by hmorneau »

If a customer need a 128kbps and a 24kbps radio, and it's fine, you can configure both in the same conf, and the customer can easly see how many people are listening is radio on the same page. Centralisation is a good thing.
Lane

Post by Lane »

you can do that now. on the same port, but with different mounts. and you can see on one page how many listeners there are one, and do the admin functions all on one page too.
Lane

Post by Lane »

ah, I just thought of something you didn't say but probably meant.

To get both 128 and 24 streams listed on shout cast, they have to both be the default mount for a given port. If you had the configuration allow multiple port creation in one conf *and* the stats for all ports could be viewed by looking at only a single port status page, then you'd have something a viewer could view one page *and* have all of them listed on the shoutcast dir.

I personally don't see the need to view stats on only one page for multiple shoutcast listed streams. But if I wanted that, I would write a simple php script to grab data from several stream status xml pages and combine them. This would be a better solution anyway, as I could grab and combine them from completely different servers. It would be much more flexible and sensible to do this with an external script in my opinion. Maybe one exists already?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

yes, I had thought about multiple port configurations as well but for now I think single port configurations are safer.

If you want multiple channels in a single steamcast instance then get more IP's and use the SourceIP feature.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

ok, I have to chuckle when you said "get more IP's".

they be gettin scarce those IP's! my leased server can only get so many, and I have to justify them before they will sell them to me, if they have any to sell. it's happened in the past that none were available on my subnet. and my local isp is even stingier! ports I got coming out the wazoo, IP's not so much.

but I'm happy enough running extra instances of steamcast anyway.
Jay

Post by Jay »

yea, I understand that but realistically how many different mounts do you need?

Most providers offer up to 7. I have 5 on the test machine.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

In my case, I only feel I need one IP. As I said, I'm also happy running extra instances of steamcast for extra ports.

Some data centers are getting stingy. I've been where I got 5 IP's by default. And I've been where I only get one. I'm just trying to point out that it's a problem for some people. The internet is getting crowded!
Jay

Post by Jay »

yea, perhaps I can make some sort of enterprise solution for people who need one steamcast for a whole box.
- Jay