Kick/Ban Does Not Work

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
themixturemedia

Kick/Ban Does Not Work

Post by themixturemedia »

Hey I try kicking or baning someone with the new software and it does not work at all it keeps them on why is this also when I am in the admin and I try to go into other areas it ask me for my user name and passwork like in the status part and I put the password and username and it just keeps asking for them. I really need to know how to get the ban and kick to work.
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

your admin user and pass need to be different from your encoder pass.
- Jay
djclae

Post by djclae »

Yep, I ran into the same problem for a while. I made the passwords different and it seems to be okay now.
themixturemedia

Post by themixturemedia »

What about the kick/ban problem??
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
Jay

Post by Jay »

you should be able to kick ban as long as you are logged in as the admin and you are using a different pass for admin then you other encoders.
- Jay
djclae

Post by djclae »

Is there a reason the passwords have to be different? That just seemed slightly counter-intuitive to me for whatever reason. I don't really have any use for the other password since I just try to broadcast everything the old Shoutcast way.
Jay

Post by Jay »

well the big reason is for encoder level cross platform capabilities, Icecast and SHOUTcast are different and as such I have to treat every encoder by the rules set forth in the config file. The reason it used to work was because it used to evaluate your username and password. With SourceIsSC on it only evaluates the password. So now you have a condition where you only evaluate a password and then of course your admin user/pass. Which one should take presidence? Encoder or admin. Of course the encoder otherwise things like song titles meta updates won't occur properly. The other issue is security. It is simply not safe to use the same password. Reason being the admin of a server has total control of how the server bahaves. From rehashing to even shutting down the server from the web interface. To removing or adding sources. The other issue is possible future exploites to the system. We don't want it easy for you to enable code that could be exploited, by passing a simple password to the system.

I know alot of people want to just have an encoder pass and be done with it, but then I would have to reconsider many of the features that I have planned for the system. Many of which could pose serious security risks in the future if the user system is not thought out well now. The fact is this is not going to be a simple SHOUTcast replacement. It is it's own system with its own behaviors. While it may seem counter-intuitive to the less secure previous release, I feel that I would rather add extra steps then potentially leave a massive security hole open.
- Jay
djclae

Post by djclae »

Makes perfect sense. I think in the config file it tells you it has to be different.