smi file support?

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
tandilboy

smi file support?

Post by tandilboy »

i using a windows media embeeded player on my page. certain windows media clones requests \"Radio.smi\" steamcast cant support that extension file :(
[06/27/2005@11:03:15] <85.137.1.39> Connection Opened (A: 201.255.88.10:80/radio.mp3) [L: 7] {UA: NSPlayer/10.0.0.3646 WMFSDK/10.0}
[06/27/2005@11:03:26] <85.137.1.39> Invalid Resource Request (/radio.smi) {UA: Windows-Media-Player/10.00.00.3646}
themixturemedia

no no no no

Post by themixturemedia »

Ok first there is no .smi format it is .smil and it works for Real player
http://themixturemedia.no-ip.com/reallisten.smil and if you want windows media you want .wax format http://themixturemedia.no-ip.com/listen.wax use this for your windows media embed player. Use the .smil if you want to use a real embed player.
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

Well, .smi and .smil both legit formats.

http://www.webaim.org/techniques/captions/windows/1

It is mostly used for captioning, and since the steamcast server is not a Windows media or Real player server, it does not support captioning so .smi and .smil will never be needed.

(ideally you would be using .ram instead of .smil for your real player link)
themixturemedia

what....

Ahhh yeah Steamcast may not be a Real Server or WMP Server but .smil works just great with my Real Plaugin and my Real link. I found using .smil you can do alot more like add a web page when the Real Player starts up. Like how I have it with my WMP stream I went to the link you posted http://www.webaim.org/techniques/captions/windows/1 and it does not work. And what do you mean captioning do you mean posting what is playing if that what you mean it does that with my stream right now.
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
tandilboy

Post by tandilboy »

but the player requests the file. this feature can be used :wink:
themixturemedia

If the player will not use .smi I dont know I have not tried but it will use .smil just put the l in there and have a nice day.
betatester
Stream Host

Re: what....

Post by betatester »

themixturemedia wrote:Ahhh yeah Steamcast may not be a Real Server or WMP Server but .smil works just great with my Real Plaugin and my Real link. I found using .smil you can do alot more like add a web page when the Real Player starts up. Like how I have it with my WMP stream I went to the link you posted http://www.webaim.org/techniques/captions/windows/1 and it does not work. And what do you mean captioning do you mean posting what is playing if that what you mean it does that with my stream right now.
This can be done in WAX playlists, and in RAM playlists by simply specifying the file= parameter. Using these format types ensures that your stream will launch on all listeners players. It will also keep from trying to open empty commands in the player (why launch a caption if you are not using it?).
tandilboy wrote:but the player requests the file. this feature can be used :wink:
Unfortunately that is not the way this works. You need to use a windows media server or real media server (and the respective encoder) in order to broadcast with captioning (captions can be anything, if your not familiar with it, it can be something like the words for the video you are broadcasting...like "closed captioning" on your television set).

If a media player had captioning turned on, it will automatically look for a caption feed (thats why you see the hit to your server log). If you stream on-demand music from your webserver, you will also see hits to "file not found....smi" because no captioning is provided. This is very common, and is nothing to worry about unless you actually provide captioning for your streams. Then obviously something is missing.

In order for this to work, steamcast will basically need to become a windows media server or a real media server, which chances are (hopefully) it won't- since those are corporate packages and (as far as I know) are not open source. If you would like to support this, I would suggest getting a windows/real media server and the encoder for the respective server type...then you can program all the captions you would like for your stream and use the .smi or .smil format to provide extended "captioning" content. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

I hope this makes sense and settles some of the confusion.