Ogg video and steamcast.

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
webranger

Ogg video and steamcast.

Post by webranger »

Steamcast does indeed work with ogg video. In order to get ezstream to work you have to compile from source, the newest alpha 4 libtheora, the latest icecast (also compiled from source) and ffmpeg2theora (from source).

"oggfwd" did not compile correctly for me (and some other people) giving a seg fault upon running. I am gonna try to figure out why sometime. If you find the linux executable, it does work.

The avidemux file editor, installed from the repository works to encode oggs that don't use theora or ogg. You can make an ogg with any of the supported codecs, including divx, mp3, aac.... etc.

These shout fine.

Shouting to steamcast is as simple as this:

cat foo.ogg | oggfwd localhost 8000 password /mountpoint.ogg

or you can use ezstream, if you compile the latest one.

The newest DOS binary ffor ezstream doesn't work right, so you are gonna have to compile the linux source.

I used FC3 and it seemed to be a good platform.

It doesn't look like track tags are supported either..... hmmmm .....

It looks like this plays nice with VLC under windows, but none of the mainstream media players play ogg, except Real 10 on linux.

What is cool is that the Cortado player (java) works great to play oggtheora. I haven't been able to make the flumotion server work. The cortado player apparently works for either windows, linux, OSX and BSD. I have only tried the first two.

A light weight, open source, portable player doesn't hurt my feelings.

OK, so now you guys have something else to dink with.

Kevin
[size=0]New! City of Roses Radio - Rock, Blues, Jazz More[/size]
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

good to hear it works :)
- Jay