flash and steamcast -- once more!

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
marcushb

flash and steamcast -- once more!

Post by marcushb »

Hello,

After some research, I installed steamcast on a Linux because I read here that flash can understand steamcast stream with an http://localhost:port/mountname.mp3?rawdata call.

The server is running fine with a SAM2 stream, mp3 (no MP3 PRO for flash, right?). Anyway, am disappointed because the problem is same-0 same-0 -- flash swf works fine at home, not at all on a web page at home, and not at all on the server -- same domain as steamcast.

What is it that I'm not doing correctly, someone please tell me. Have aimed to get flash to play a live stream for quite a while -- have had shoutcast servers running a-ok for a few years now, but flash won't play shoutcast with without the proxy.php setup, which broadcasts too many artifacts (sudden squawks and squeaks) to even call it a music stream.

So, I stumbled onto info about steamcast here and thought, at last! But nope, not yet. If someone has this working (flash swf player and steamcast stream) please let me know what I am doing wrong.

I haved tried http://localhost:port/mountname.mp3?rawdata and http://ip:por/mountname.mp3?rawdata and just about every other combo I can think of, but no go. I tried an

http://ip:port/mountname.mp3?rawdata

call with realplayer, and it works fine, at home or embedded on the remote server. So that address works, why won't it work in a flash swf? And why does the swf work at home? Is there some sort of security requirement in addition to the live stream reading problem? The test on the steamcast server was "same domain" access, so what is going on here/

If flash cannot play steamcast streams, would someone please let me know that, once and for all, so I can drop the entire idea, one more time.

Thanks for any help -- marcushb
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

make sure you have uncommented it from the config. Also make sure that your flash player is not hosted in IE. I learned after releasing this version that IE is requiring a Content-Length header before it passes the data on to it's child plugins. In firefox and stand alone flash this process works great. Hope to get a fix to this issue once and for all on IE clients by next release.
- Jay
marcushb

Thanks ....

Post by marcushb »

Jay, thanks very much for the helpful reply. Am really looking forward to the next steamcast version if MSIE (arrgghhhh -- about 98% of the world uses it) can stream live music through flash with it.

I tested with Foxfire, as you suggested -- and yep, it works fine. Getting MSIE in the picture would really be a coup -- people have tried to do that for about forever, it seems. I sure do wish you well and would like to offer modest support. How may I do that, please?

In the meantime, will fiddle around with steamcast -- it's not clear to me what I'm doing in the conf file, for one thing, and another is the frequent error message I'm getting with SAM2 when I stream to steamcast -- error, not streaming fast enough -- or something like that.

Must be either the steamcast conf or the SAM2 encoder configuration because was streaming only one 24 KB stream. The SAM2 to steamcast connection is a double speed DSL that usually sends 2 or 3 shoutcast streams at once. Was trying the Icecast2 encoder configuration on SAM2. Hopefully, poking around these forums will shed some light.

Again, thanks for the explanation. Looking forward to the next version, that's for sure.

marcushb

PS Somebody needs to stripslashes for the forum messages ....
jasoncom

New Release

Post by jasoncom »

When will the new release be out that will work with Flash?
jasoncom

SAM2

Post by jasoncom »

As far as SAM2 I am using SOS3. When you encode, make sure you have the Quality set to Fast
marcushb

Post by marcushb »

Thanks for tip about the "fast" setting -- will try it, next time I test. Why fast?

Thanks, marcushb

PS Yeah, would appreciate a time frame for the next steamcast version, too. That will sure be a winner.
jasoncom

Fast

Post by jasoncom »

Has something to do with the way Spacial Audio encodes. It's a suggestion from their forums.