Steamcast on FC2

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
waqario

Steamcast on FC2

Post by waqario »

Hey Jay, ive been running the latest steamcast version 0.9.73 and 0.9.72 on a fedora core 2 box

I have been having intermittent problems with the stream dying and the server acting up. It drops clients and messes up quite bad. It runs smooth for quite a while.

When i went back to 0.9.71 on the server, it worked like a charm.

I also have a redhat 9 box and the new version 0.9.73 work fine on that without any problems.

It is just fedora core 2 box that i am having these problems with.

Any help would be appreciated thx.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

is your fedora core machine a dual processor or Hyper threading machine?
- Jay
waqario

Post by waqario »

nope it is not.

I actually have 2 fedora core 2 machines. I tried on either one and i get the same problems on both.

Both machines are AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 768mb of ram.
Jay

Post by Jay »

well I have had reports of issues with fedora core 1 machines as well

so it is likely related.
- Jay
waqario

Post by waqario »

Any clue what exactly it might be? or an eta on a fix?

if not ill have to stick with the old version or rebuild to redhat 9 machine to run the software.

thx
Jay

Post by Jay »

wish I could give you something, if you want you can try to (re)build rh7.3 compatibility libs. That is appearently where the problem lies.
- Jay
djclae

Post by djclae »

Not to undermine all your hard work, but something needs to be done about this problem. If I hadn't been sitting here listening to it and caught it right now, it probably would have taken my Shoutcast servers down with it for the rest of the day.
Jay

Post by Jay »

well I am certainly not tossing it out, I am just saying that as of right now I do not know where the problem is, I have used FC 4 and all appears well with the latest version of steamcast.
- Jay
djclae

Post by djclae »

It's certifiable. I'll be listening to Shoutcast, and it will suddenly get stuck buffering irrevocably slowly. The second I kill the Steamcast process it springs back into action as if a huge weight is lifted. I'm seriously considering ditching Steamcast for a while, since I'm stuck with my dual processors, and this is unstable.
Jay

Post by Jay »

well I certainly don't want you to have to be stuck in such a situation so I would remove it until a new release that has some CPU handling.
- Jay
djclae

Post by djclae »

The trade-off is that if I get rid of it I lose some of the extra exposure it gives me, forwarding from Icecast and stuff.
Jay

Post by Jay »

well unfortunately my attention has been towards work as of late. Hopefully soon I can sit down and hammer out a new release.
- Jay