Oddcast, Streamcast and Radiotool Box

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
Timbo

Oddcast, Streamcast and Radiotool Box

Post by Timbo »

I want to thank Jay for doing what other "Shoutcast" style sofware makes will not do. That is allow for us the users, to set the
buffer length. This is important to me as I rebroadcast the
local All Hazards radio on the Internet along with our storm
chaser amature radio frequency. Delays of two minutes are
not a good thing during severe weather.
With Streamcast I can get that down to around 10 - 20 seconds.

Anyways, I can get Oddcast v3 to work with Streamcast and hear the stream. But the problem is using RadioToolBox with Streamcast. When I first startup the ToolBox it says the server is online and indicates everything correctly.

But during the next refresh it displays "checking" and then "Cancelled"..Does not do this with the SC DNAS, just the
Streamcast server.

For the life of me I can not figure out why it works when first starts then stops working correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tim
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I forgot to ask one thing in the prior posting.

I noticed that at 24 kbps that even with the buffer set to 1 in Streamcast that it takes a while for the stream to start playing.
Windows Media 9 gives a percentage of it buffering.

If I am right, which is not often, SC DNAS streams the initial
amount when first connected at a high rate to fill the players buffer, this allows the stream to start playing quicker.
Streamcast does not seem to do this right now.

Is this something coming down the pipe soon?

Would be a nice addition to have the streams start up a little quicker at this low rate.

Thanks

Tim
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

yup radio toolbox is a little buggy with steamcast, need to fix it. Anyhow just make sure you are specifying the mount in the entry in radio toolbox.

When you set buffer utilization to 1 you are saying take out as much stream ahead as possible which is why you have the slow startup. Increase SourceBuffUtil to get more of the quick connect feel.
- Jay