bitrate limiting a relay server and Sam3 statisics

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
DeMiNe0

bitrate limiting a relay server and Sam3 statisics

Post by DeMiNe0 »

Hello!

I'm trying to run steamcast with 2 streams. A high bandwidth and low bandwidth. I have one server set up with a limit of 128k and the relay server has a 56k limit. ANy users that connect to the relay hear it at 128 though. Why isn't it limiting it?

Also sam3's statistics relay doesn't work with steam, so you cannot make stats on your broadcasting or know how many listeners you have inside sam itself.
Lane

Post by Lane »

the relay doesn't reencode the stream to a different bitrate. that limit is meant to disconnect sources that go over the limit. perhaps it doesn't disconnect if it's a relay as opposed to a direct connected source.

if you want to transcode the 128 into a 56k, look for sc_trans from shoutcast.com. there might be others. keep in mind that it takes a lot of cpu to do that.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

just as an FYI in 0.9.73 the bitrate limiting was changed it no longer disconnects sources over the limit it now throttles so you as the listener will experience extreme buffering if a source exceeds this limit.

The latest version of SAM3 support steamcast statistics. Upgrade your SAM3 to get it.
- Jay
DeMiNe0

Post by DeMiNe0 »

Thanks! I got sam3 updated. Works great.

with sc_trans i have it set up now. Is there a command line mp3 player that supports listening to steamcast streams?
Jay

Post by Jay »

any mp3 player capable of listening to shoutcast or icecast streams will be able to tune into steamcast.
- Jay
DeMiNe0

Post by DeMiNe0 »

ya, but i need a player that works from command line. I need to be able to use it from ssh. And i can't find any that would work. xmms won't compile on my system.
Jay

Post by Jay »

i would imagine that since ssh is pure console there won't be such a thing as it would not be able to playback any sound anyway. Unless I am misunderstanding your reasons for doing such a thing.
- Jay
DeMiNe0

Post by DeMiNe0 »

Well, the computer itself still has a soundcard at /dev/audio, and linux is primarly suppost to be run from a terminal (like ssh). So any audio player SHOULD have some type of terminal commands too.

Do you know of any other way to downsample a stream from the same server that the steamcast is running on?
Jay

Post by Jay »

you could try oddsock's transcoder at www.oddsock.org Although many people have been having some issues with it.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

Here are some command line mp3 players.

http://www.all4mp3.com/tools/sw_fhg_cl.html