iTunes Question

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
themixturemedia

iTunes Question

Post by themixturemedia »

Hey there Jay I know this is not iTunes but I am going to ask anyways. I just got listed on iTunes yesterday and I notice that when people connect with iTunes alot of times it comes up as -1kbps then shoots right to 1049kbps why is this?? Is iTunes not taking the 64kbps I am sending out??? Steamcast is telling me that I am sending out 3 megs when I have 5 people connected that does make any sence at all. Hey thanks Jay and have a great new years.....I know I will. 8O
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

those are average statistics, depending on the way iTunes buffers that statistic may be innaccurate.
- Jay
eloaded

Post by eloaded »

Hey I was just wondering how did you get yourself listed in iTunes. I heard its nearly impossible

Eloaded
http://eloaded.dyndns.org/index.html
themixturemedia

eloaded wrote:Hey I was just wondering how did you get yourself listed in iTunes. I heard its nearly impossible

Eloaded
http://eloaded.dyndns.org/index.html
Yeah it is impossible and the person at iTunes is very nice to me right now. I am sorry if you want to apply to iTunes you have to figure it out on your own. I am not tring to be rude at all but if I tell one and tones of people go on to apply there and ask them. They could get mad at me at take me off.....sorry. Like I said they are being really nice to me and I am not going to piss them off.
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
themixturemedia

What The

Hey there eloaded I just went to you page to look around. As soon as I went there it tried to load something onto my computer. It is the first time I have seen it before. It does not tell any place on your site what it is.....so what is it??
eloaded

Post by eloaded »

Hey there
In reltion to the itunes....thats fair enough shit if I found away to get onto itunes Im sure I would do same as you. It must be good being on there the potential to attract so many listners....very eciting. Yeah Ill keep digging.

Now when you go to my page http://eloaded.dyndns.org/index.html if its fairst time it try to load a java player certificate. Not sure why or how it works exactly but because I have a java player on my site to play the radio the cert loads first. Its nothing really..its harmless its just for the player.

Ive checked your site out its pretty cool looks like you do some serious broadcasting.....
Im working up to that
Eloaded
themixturemedia

The Java Player

Hey I would kill the JAVA player when that cert. came on the screen made me not want to come back on to your web site.
djclae

Post by djclae »

I want to kill everyone on iTunes for thinking they're better than us. If we were listed I wouldn't have to consider closing the station every month. They have plenty of broken links in their directory, and they can't list a station of superior quality because there's no way to ask.
Lane

Post by Lane »

I want to kill everyone on iTunes for thinking they're better than us.
You want to kill everyone there? That's a bit over the top. You would be in error assuming that everyone at iTunes thinks they are better than anyone else. They have their own set of criteria for who they list in their Directory. It's not personal.

And remember, iTunes/Apple doesn't have to list anyone. They don't owe you anything. It's really not apple's fault that you're faced with closing your station every month. Rather than blame and resent, I recommend you look for solutions.

I suggest:

•Emailing iTunes and asking for a contact for their directory management.

•Respectfully notifying iTunes when you discover a broken link in their directory.

•Adopting a positive attitude in regard to this problem, so that others may be more inclined to help you out.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

I also find errors in the logic that the lack of a listing at iTunes has anything to do with the economics of running a station. If anything it will just cost you more to list there as you will have more stream traffic on a non-revenue making model. Focus on your website and you will do fine.
- Jay
themixturemedia

djclae wrote:I want to kill everyone on iTunes for thinking they're better than us. If we were listed I wouldn't have to consider closing the station every month. They have plenty of broken links in their directory, and they can't list a station of superior quality because there's no way to ask.
What the HELL MAN I do not think I am better then any one of you guys at all. The reason I am on iTunes is because I think and it is JUST ME.....that being listed any place is great for people to know you are out there. The reason I am not telling people how I got on hmmm I think I already to everyone. It took me along time asking around I mean asking around every place. I was really nice to the person at iTunes and they let me on. Hey I know my web site is not that great and the music maybe not great. But I am tring to get out there and have people listen to what I put out.

I am not going to have some rude person "I want to kill everyone on iTunes for thinking they're better than us." use my name when talking to the people of iTunes. I am doing my web site and station for fun right now maybe djclae you need to settle down.
Lane

Post by Lane »

I thought I'd checkout the website of our upset member here. Getting on to iTunes has been a long time concern it seems, so perhaps he spoke during a frustrating moment. I think his comment was mostly aimed at his direct competeition, who is listed. I hope he was just having a bad day.

Anyway, it seems he's been trying hard for some time to get listed. He even has his own forum where he's asked visitors to email iTunes/Apple. Here's a thread on that: http://j-fan.com/forums/index.php?topic=10686.0. It seems the main reason he wants to be on there is to access a new pool of potential money donors.

I had another thought on iTunes listing. I have iTunes. Always have. I have windows computers without iTunes and have always had more than one Mac on the go, always with iTunes. I do all of my music listening on my Macs using iTunes. I *never* look in their station listings. When I want to find a station, I go to shoutcast.com. I don't know how typical I am, but I suspect there are others who also do not look at the iTunes directory. I still consider the shoutcast dir to be *the one to be on*.

The point, I'm glad steamcast is shoutcast compatible, and I'm glad the author has that compatibility as a key design goal. That's where I'll find my listeners. Who cares about iTunes?
djclae

Post by djclae »

You guys take things too seriously, I'm just blowing off steam. All I'm saying is you work hard and put a lot of money into a station, and then no one over there has the decency to even respond to such concerns, let alone have a known avenue to pursue this.

Jay, when you're strictly looking to have more listeners, then yes it is a concern. The amount of listeners can have an impact on directory positioning and interest from advertisers. I don't feel like we have a serious chance of competing with our competition until we have that listing.

Lane, thanks for the advice.
Lane

Post by Lane »

I still don't think the iTunes directory is all that. I think you'd be disappointed with the number of listeners it might attract. But hey, maybe I'm wrong! Do you have any sort of data/comparison/projection as to what you could expect to gain in traffic?
djclae

Post by djclae »

I really don't know. All I know is that a lot of people use the program, and the radio tab sits right out in the open on every install. Also, people seem to make a pretty big deal out of the fact that our largest competitor is listed. A few less savvy listeners I've run into also didn't seem to realize that you can still use the program to listen to our station, even though it isn't listed in the directory.