Listeners/Steamcast

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
themixturemedia

Listeners/Steamcast

Post by themixturemedia »

Hey there Jay knida stupid question but I was wondering is there a limit to how many people can listen onto a steamcast server. I know you can put as many as you want in the settings. But is there a limit to how many the server will do??
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

the limit is really dependent on the OS TCP stack and the machine. I have only tested the server as far up as 1000 listener concurrent on a single mount. If anyone benchmarks higher I would be interested in the results.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

Doesn't shoutcast actually only recognize 1,000 possible listeners from each server? It seems to me if you put in 20,000, your maximum on shoutcast will only show 1,000. You need to cluster other servers to get that number higher.

If I've got that straight, it says to me that one shouldn't expect to reasonably serve more than 1,000 listeners on a single server. Servers and their connections have certainly gotten faster over the years, so that number might be 'old fashioned'.
Jay

Post by Jay »

well that is merely a yp restriction, it is based on the fact that people would grossly misconfigure their servers and the belief at shoutcast is that most people don't have that kind of bandwidth on a single server.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

I'm left with wondering what a reasonable maximum bandwidth could be expected on a modern server. If you have a 1000 Mbps ethernet card, could one expect over 7,000 128kbps listeners tuning in without a problem? I certainly wouldn't expect it. I wonder if there's a site or forum that discusses this sort of thing.
Jay

Post by Jay »

well, you need to check and see what transfer limits there are, also you must always keep the limit 80% of the maximum advertised card throughput.
- Jay