problems with server

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
kgb1808

problems with server

Post by kgb1808 »

hi , i have a dedicated server with steamcast installed. the problem i am having is that some ppl get buffering and some dont? i am using nsv tools to run my video stream and using steamcast for authentication. like i say some ppl get the stream ok and not others? i am lost as to why this is happening? any hepl would be much appreciated , thanx.
Lane

Post by Lane »

The most likely reason is that some people do not have fast enough connections, or fast enough computers to get your stream. Can you lower your stream rate? (I'm not familiar with nsv tools specifically, but the issue of buffering is independent of that).
themixturemedia

Post by themixturemedia »

No the problem is that you might have your stream rate to high for what you can stream out. If you are streaming out at lets say 128K lets say and you can only stream out 256K from you ISP. Then you need something alot faster then what "YOU" got. Anyone that is on high speed will be able to view at almost any rate its just what rate (speed (k)) you send it out. Does that make any sence at all??? 8O
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
kgb1808

Re: .......

Post by kgb1808 »

themixturemedia wrote:No the problem is that you might have your stream rate to high for what you can stream out. If you are streaming out at lets say 128K lets say and you can only stream out 256K from you ISP. Then you need something alot faster then what "YOU" got. Anyone that is on high speed will be able to view at almost any rate its just what rate (speed (k)) you send it out. Does that make any sence at all??? 8O
hi , thanks for your reply. i have a 500k upload and am streaming at 250k with no other programs open and some ppl can watch no problem and others get constant buffering. my server has 100mbps uplink so i am confused as to why this happens. the ppl with the buffering have said they can watch p2p at higher bitrate but not my streams? confused :(
themixturemedia

Post by themixturemedia »

[/quote]
hi , thanks for your reply. i have a 500k upload and am streaming at 250k with no other programs open and some ppl can watch no problem and others get constant buffering. my server has 100mbps uplink so i am confused as to why this happens. the ppl with the buffering have said they can watch p2p at higher bitrate but not my streams? confused :([/quote]

So let me get this right you have a 500K up and you are streaming at 250K well that could be the problem. If you are tring to stream more then 2 people then you ran out of bandwith after 2 people. Providers say you get 500K up or what ever but you do not always get that. I would do a stream test to see how fast your upload really is here is a link or two for you to check out.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=speed+ ... ABAA%40%40

When you do the speed test turn everything off that wants to be on the internet. So you can get 100% right test.
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
kgb1808

Post by kgb1808 »

themixturemedia wrote:
hi , thanks for your reply. i have a 500k upload and am streaming at 250k with no other programs open and some ppl can watch no problem and others get constant buffering. my server has 100mbps uplink so i am confused as to why this happens. the ppl with the buffering have said they can watch p2p at higher bitrate but not my streams? confused :([/quote]

So let me get this right you have a 500K up and you are streaming at 250K well that could be the problem. If you are tring to stream more then 2 people then you ran out of bandwith after 2 people. Providers say you get 500K up or what ever but you do not always get that. I would do a stream test to see how fast your upload really is here is a link or two for you to check out.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=speed+ ... ABAA%40%40

When you do the speed test turn everything off that wants to be on the internet. So you can get 100% right test.[/quote]

ok , i jst done that and came back 480k upload. i should be able to get more than 2 ppl though as im sending the stream at 250k to my dedicated server and everyone uses the link from the server. i had 200+ on the server and only about 20 ppl kepp getting the buffering. i checked the cpu of the server and that was fine and only used about 24mbps uplink out of the 100. i think it must be something at their end as someone stated earlier. thanks for your help.