list of new features

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
tandilboy

list of new features

Post by tandilboy »

please. list the new features projected in the new version of steamcast :)
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

so far:

Better Configuration file parsing
Relay list capability
and on-demand

The on-demand is what is taking me the most time at the moment because it requires that steamcast essentially become a file server.
- Jay
themixturemedia

Post by themixturemedia »

If that is the case it is not going to need port 80 is it cause if it is I am going to have a pretty big problem. :evil:
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
Jay

Post by Jay »

I am not sure why you would think that because something is a file server it must run on port 80. Check the config lines of your favorite webserver and you will see that just like steamcast, Icecast, and SHOUTcast, it can be set to and will listen on any port.
- Jay
djclae

Post by djclae »

What about the ability to play a backup file when the source disconnects? I'd be using Steamcast full time if it had that.
Jay

Post by Jay »

I am looking into adding both intro file and backup file capability, but it will take some time because I did not write it initially with these in mind. The problem is that I am trying to stay format independent and doing this means that I am becoming dependent on certain formats working a certain way.

SHOUTcast has it easy because they only support formats that they design in their own player. I do not have that luxery.
- Jay
tandilboy

Post by tandilboy »

and the bugfix list? :o
djclae

Post by djclae »

It's a shame because backup files really help keep users connected and on hold should the source ever get dropped for 20 seconds or so. Most of the really professional stations on Shoutcast seem to use it to good effect.

Any idea how well Steamcast does when relaying a Shoutcast server with a backup file? Does the backup get relayed all right?
Jay

Post by Jay »

not sure never tested it. In the meantime you can use the SourceBackup option and apply another source or relay to that location.

The reason it is not included as a file option is it requires that steamcast know something about the file, this is why shoutcast has alot of issues with this feature and other formats. I understand why shoutcast implemented the feature, it is a great concept but it is terribly difficult to execute if you want to support other formats without trying to be able to tell the future.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

Couldn't you just write your own custom .pls, serve it from a standard web host, and have your own intro, stream, backup file? You'd need your listeners to connect via your .pls instead of steamcasts.

Jay, would a user defined playlist be an easier implementation? The intro/outro files be served by something else. The user is responsible for making the playlist that steamcast presents when listen.pls is called.

Just a thought.
Jay

Post by Jay »

this is possible but due to the way YP's are designed none of those users would get the intro, backup files.
- Jay