Two copies relaying

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
bingo

Two copies relaying

Post by bingo »

Hello,
I got a problem on Debian Sarge : starting two copies on the same machine (with two different configuration files) to make two relays. One copy relayed only. The other was sleeping.
I checked the stream address to relay to and it was good. I just had to created another user and the second copy relayed.
Just to let you know.
themixturemedia

Post by themixturemedia »

Hey there why would u want to relays I have never heard of someone doing that before? 8O
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
bingo

Post by bingo »

Relaying is the fact to take an existing SHOUTcast or Steamcast server and create a cluster adding another server to add more bandwitdth from another machine :)
themixturemedia

I know

Post by themixturemedia »

Hey I know what it is I have just never heard of someone having two relays running on the same machine. 8O
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
bingo

Post by bingo »

Imagine you had two streams with different bitrates that you want to relay from another machine. You will need two copies of Steamcast running as the configuration file allows one relay only.
Lane

Post by Lane »

I've run 3 instances of steamcast, 3 different configs, no problem. Were you careful to make sure you're using a different port for each one?

Maybe you could post your config files, with the passwords fuzzed out. I couldn't offer any more advice without them.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

also for clarification, steamcast allows multiple relays from one instance, you do not need to do multiple instances to do multiple streams.
- Jay
bingo

Post by bingo »

Jay,

How do you make Steamcast realy multiple sources ? Add more URL to relay in the configuration file ?
Thanks
Jay

Post by Jay »

read the docs, I have an example of how you would add multiple mount points, each mount can be assigned it's own relay.
- Jay
bingo

Post by bingo »

Thanks Jay. I re read the docs and I forgot to mention that I wanted both streams to be listed at yp.shoutcast. Reason why I run two copies.

BTW, thanks for having taken a look at this thread where I just wanted to report my experience. Sorry for the disturb.
Jay

Post by Jay »

you could always use SourceIP and have multiple IP's assigned to the system, this is what I do.
- Jay
bingo

Post by bingo »

Jay,
I tried today to use two different IPs for SourceIP but only one relay was working. The other source defined in steamcast.conf was sleeping.
Perhaps is it a problem with Sarge or me not understanding correctly the settings. I don't know.
Jay

Post by Jay »

check your log to see if it is attempting to make a connection to your server. If not then post your config or pm it to me and I'll take a look.
- Jay