Problems With Steamcast

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.

Are you having problems with Steamcast?

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 8

themixturemedia

Problems With Steamcast

Post by themixturemedia »

Hey there this is for anyone like me that are having a issue with Steamcast. If you are having problems like steamcast crashing please post it here. If you post here please post everything that is the problem.
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
themixturemedia

my problem

Post by themixturemedia »

Ok well since I posted the question here is my problem. Steamcast will just crash and not come up with a error it just goes away. Here is what I am running Windows Xp Home , Winamp 5.2 , Oddcast 3.1.6 and Steamcast .9.73. It seems to happen more often when I hit my max listeners.
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
JoomlaRadio

Still not working without buffering

Post by JoomlaRadio »

My big Promplem with steamcast is, it is not running fluently, the stream is allways a bit flickering - please listen your self:
http://www.radio-lechtal.de:8012 or 8014

Seems I´m to stupid to get it running - any Ideas what to do?

Here are the settings i use for the source:

PortBase=8012

MaxUser=2700

MaxBandwidth=0

LogFile=dsl.log

ScreenLog=Yes

RealtimeLog=Yes

YPLog=Yes

PidFile=dsl.pid

NameLookups=No

ShowLastSongs=20

ClientTimeout=60

AdminUser=admin

AdminPass=xxxxxxxx

; Source Configuration
; ====================

SourceMount=/listen.mp3

; SourceBackup=/live_back.mp3

SourceUser=dsl

SourcePass=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SourceUserMax=2700

SourceRelay=radio-lechtal.de:8002

SourceAvgBitrateLimit=128

SourceIsSC=Yes

SourceNameFormat=%s

SourceIsDefault=Yes

; SourceIP=212.227.99.95

SourceAuth=Yes

SourceAuthMax=2700

SourcePublic=Default

SourcePublicRelays=Yes

SourceBuffUtil=100

What can i do to make it run fluently
Music and News around the clock http://joomla-radio.de
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

you have your stream set under authentication so there is no way for us to listen unless you leave a temp account so we can tune in.
- Jay
JoomlaRadio

Post by JoomlaRadio »

Mhhh so lol

how do i open it, How can i remove the authentication -

:-)
Jay

Post by Jay »

set SourceAuth=No
- Jay
JoomlaRadio

Post by JoomlaRadio »

Now it is done - you should be able to listen now -
JoomlaRadio

Post by JoomlaRadio »

It would just be the greatest thing if i could get this steam cast runni8ng fluently, as it is realy making exactly what i want :-) - I would only work with steamcast and stuff shoutcast if it would give a good stream quality.
Than i put a big Addvertice in my site that joomla Radio and Radio Lechtal runs with steamcast :-)
Jay

Post by Jay »

Set the MetaInterval for the server at radio-lechtal.de:8002 to 8192 and all should be good.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

have you adjusted the meta interval?

it sounds like you're connection between your stream source and the stream server isn't keeping a good connection. are you running other things on the computer at the same time? Is your local network busy? How much upstream bandwidth does your web host allow? Are you max'd out?
DJ-Zath

Post by DJ-Zath »

I have been having issues with Steamcast, however, some, more than others, can be 'worked around"

But, there are a few I can't seem to correct..

1.. EXTREMELY high CPU use..

I have noticed an AVERAGE CPU use of 10 to 22% (thats "10 point" not "point 10") and the server admin has "clocked" me on this matter. I have seen, in extremes, as high as 60 to 80% CPU usage!

2.. YP instability.

I notice that, although, YP gets a "sucessessful touch" on the first connect, once I drop stream, and reconnect YP becomes "broken" and a "invalid source" error is displayed I also notice "invalid socket 35" errors as well. it seems to be linked to the internal "YP directory update system" (could this also be the reason for the high CPU??)

3.. stealth UDP port openings.. and hackers gaining COMPLETE ACCESS to the shell through this UDP entry..

I don't have much more to report than that some clever person(s) have been using this "unregistered connection" to gain control of my servers- and have caused them to go offline and/or crash during competitive broadcasts! I also noticed my box/shell accounts being DELETED and/or DESTROYED on a NIGHTLY basis.. Reverting to an eariler version of Steamcast (one that doesn't open this stealthy port access) has seems to prevent the hackers from gaining access to my account shell and thus the servers have STOPPED being broken into and wiped out.

(reverting to an elriler version has also seem to correct the extreme CPU usage, BUT now I get FLOODED with "invalid socket 35" errors and I may find Steamcast crash at random.

the eariler version also doesn't pass title information (as I assume the header/mime info has changed since that older version and I'm not aware of the older protocol) YP on this older version is, useless and doesn't wirk at all.

So, I guess its a "give or take"

extreme high CPU with hack-asscess, with "one shot" YP vs unstable, no listing and hundreds of opeening sockets without them closeing untill the whole thing eventually crashes!

decisions, decisions, decisions!

Oh yeah, one other thing.. the relay system on either system doesn NOT work- opening a relay connection is 'iffy" at best.. oh, and after that the whole thing CORES!

box: shared resource in a datacenter (Verio)

vers: tried 9.70 and 9.73

I'm not 'bitching" but you DID want to know what I found 'wrong' with it heheh

the whole thing with this "internet streaming' business.. is theres really NOTHING out there that works 'right" (or even close) Steamcast is one of the better-working applications out there.. theres a LOT of "junk" out there too (caugh, caugh,SAM caugh,caugh) and good old DNAS. (or as someone said on here.. "NullSuck" (LOL I like that one.. goes with "shitcast"!) Done get me wrong- a lot of good programmers (like jay) work their ASSES off to provide some very decent and pratical applications out there.. but I think the "big boys" are doing all that they can to make it all "fall apart" in the end... (I have a very expensive piece of equipment for internet broadcasting and its FLAWED! as its "server" isn't relay-able to ANYTHING unless you use it on a closed system and on a SPECIFIC set of protocols.. and even this isn't stable enough for the $$$ iot cost to aquire!)

-DjZ-
:) :)
Jay

Post by Jay »

Well there is really nothing stealth about the UDP port, it is a stats port designed to allow applications to get statistics about your server. I really can't see any reason why anyone would be able to hack into the system so baring a security report I am going to have to say that this one is unconfirmed. Many people will use whatever methods that can to gain entry into a system but given the protocal isn't even known it is hard to believe that anyone has cracked but if you can give me some traffic details or logs I will be glad to take a look. I have been testing Steamcast on Linux and FreeBSD 5 and both have been rather rock solid except for certain YP functions. The new server I have on the test bed is much better but it still has some issues that need resolving before I release. I am also definately not going to make you guys wait for me to rewrite the internal buffer so i will make a release with the latest set of features soon although I will warn in advance that on demand is highly scketchy right now because of the internal buffer design. I have also fixed several interface issues. As far as CPU I cannot confirm any CPU issue at all on the FreeBSD build. It either works or it doesn't in my testing. Just to give everybody a for sure deadline, there will be a new steamcast in October, I promise. This is ironclad :)
- Jay
DJ-Zath

Post by DJ-Zath »

hi Jay:

first off, thanks for a quick reply..

I just spent over an hour typing out all kinda of data for you.. only to have the system

"time out" on me and all the work LOST when I tried to post!

GOD ****** damn it!

I will try to recall some of it again, but FORGET me attempting to re-post all of it..

about getting you the traffic reports: (concerning the access to the UDP ports?)

Getting you reports of the traffic will be difficult since when they DO get in, they
wipe everything out! This seems to happen at around 1 am CST.. and, when it happens,
the system can be GONE untill the next auto-restore- when it does return, its from
"the day before" and shows NO record of their entry.

I'll contact the admin and see if he's got any additional data for you.

They can also "hit" the box during "popular" broadcasts too. though the hits during the
broadcasts are more "hit and run" and the box recovers quickly- but just enough to disrupt
the broadcast and lose the lisrteners.

Heres what I can recall:

v "970" didn't load the CPU like "973" (UNIX version - couldn't find a FreeBSD version)

v"971" and "972" wouldn't load- instead reported a "libexec/id-elf.so.1: shared object has no
runtime sysbol table" error message. (are these linux versions?)

Heres a screengrab of top: (while running v"973")
-----------------------------------------------

last pid: 14346; load averages: 1.10, 0.37, 0. up 45+07:03:15 14:51:06
32 processes: 2 running, 30 sleeping
CPU: 29.2% user, 0.0% nice, 55.3% system, 0.0% interrupt, 15.5% idle
Mem: 325M Active, 1389M Inact, 192M Wired, 62M Cache, 199M Buf, 36M Free
Swap: 1024M Total, 1516K Used, 1022M Free
PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME WCPU CPU COMMAND
14216 user 56 0 8932K 2684K RUN 2:34 54.46% 53.42% steamcast
98701 user 2 0 1444K 1012K select 2:21 0.00% 0.00% top
18565 user 2 10 2668K 1740K select 1:06 0.00% 0.00% Bot
18555 user 2 10 4480K 3736K select 0:42 0.00% 0.00% ircd

------------------------------------------------

notes:

a) actual account name was changed to "user" for security reasons

b) only the top end of the process list is shown (I didn't think it nessessary
to show the whole list).

c) steamcast has only 3 listeners on it at the time of the screen grab (since I
resetted the server to load "973" - I can't keep it running TOO long when this happens!)
it usually is around 10 to 14% but even THAT is high!

If you want a netstat or sockstat list, I'll email those to you.. I won't post those publicly.

this is all I can recall..

-DjZ-
:/ :/
Jay

Post by Jay »

which platform compile did you download? Linux, FreeBSD 4 or FreeBSD 5?
- Jay
DJ-Zath

Post by DJ-Zath »

Hi jay:

"973" is "FreeBSD 4.x"

"971" and "972" I donno what they are they came from a third-party download and were not marked "os-specific" (I think they are the linux versions)

"970" is for Unix.. (I couldn't find a FreeBSD version)

-DjZ-
:) :)