authentication made easy?!

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
omega1

authentication made easy?!

Post by omega1 »

hi, just found out that steamcast can handle authentication for my live vsn stream, but im getting confused with the whole 'mount' thing.

im using nsvcap to encode the audio/video and ive installed steamcast and i can get it to work, but as soon as i try and setup the the authentication i run into problems. can anyone spare me a few minutes with a quick guide on how to set this up? thanks.

also, read somewhere that users can easily be entered through an admin panel, how do i get that?

thanks in advance
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

you just set SourceAuth=Yes for the mount you want to be set to authentication mode. The admin panel can be found by going to the server's address in a standard browser.
- Jay
omega1

Post by omega1 »

hi, thanks for your reply jay.

ive found the admin control panel, was being a bit thick, sorry.

i have tried to get the authentications working and changed the config file as follows:

; SourceAuth: [Yes|*No]: Allows you to setup HTTP Basic Authorization on this
; mount point. All Authentication is currently file based. Please see steamauth.txt
; SourceAuth overrides the public bit and will force all SourceAuth'd streams to be
; private.
SourceAuth=Yes

and added this is the auth file:

; An example entry:

/live.mp3:hello:hello1

when i tried to get to the file before enabling the SourceAuth to yes, i could stream OK, now i get the popup window, but get the following error after entering the user/pass as above (hello:hello1)

HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized

but the user:pass im entering in the auth file is correct...

what am i doing wrong?

thanks!
Jay

Post by Jay »

is the mount you are trying to connect to called /live.mp3
- Jay
omega1

Post by omega1 »

yes it is...

now ive connected successfully but its not asking me for the user:pass ?!?! i would have thought that you have to enter the user:pass everytime you click on the link? or does it have to expire or something like that? or once you\'ve entered the username:pass does it remember it and allow you until you delete it from the admin panel?

thanks
omega1

Post by omega1 »

ok, i think ive got it, ive worked it all out!

i can add users from the admin control panel, but figured out that until you delete the username and password of a user, they can get on without entering their details each time regardless of whether they close winamp and reopen it.. this actually work better for me.

thanks for your help!
Jay

Post by Jay »

yes that is a winamp only behavior, they cache your last auth entry.
- Jay
omega1

Post by omega1 »

is there anyway i can make a link to include the username and password, or will winamp ask me for it anyway?

thanks
Jay

Post by Jay »

you can use the standard

http://user:pass@server:port/mount

or you can pass the user and pass via parameters

http://server:port/mount?user=myuser&pass=mypass
- Jay
Flying Jack

Post by Flying Jack »

Just to say that VideoLAN opens a loggin pop up for play authenticated stream ;)

(Sorry for my english, I'm french :D)