The bulk of the hard stuff is done....

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

The bulk of the hard stuff is done....

Post by Jay »

Well After many moons the bulk of the bugs I have found and unfinished features/necessities is done that I had planned for the Oct update. I am very excited about this release because I have finally fixed all the Meta data interval issues that have been causing many problems to some users. Relaying also has some big fixes and now because of the Metadata fixes Relaying works much more superb.

check it out and try to break it. If all goes well with this test we will have a new Steamcast to play with. ;)

http://www.steamcast.com:8000/

Also note revolving relaying is in this version so keeping your listeners connected has never been so easy.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

This is fantastic news Jay. I'll be listening, and looking forward to being able to try it out myself.

Soup for you!
Lane

Post by Lane »

Does revolving relay mean you can specify a list of relay sources, and if one goes bonk, it goes to the next one on the list? And I guess it goes to the top of the list again if it reach the bottom? That would be cool.

I've listened some yesterday. When I checked it out, I saw most of your mounts had been up for 18+ hours. Just now, it looks like they all restarted about an hour ago. Is your testing going well?
Jay

Post by Jay »

Yup that is exactly what it means.

Yea I have been testing and so occasionally restarts need to happen but so far it has gone real well. Well enough to make an update available to you guys real soon, although it won't be complete it will be a massive upgrade.

I just finished my first version of a Gateway capability. It is at least comparable to SHOUTcast's but I know it needs alot of work.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

I see you've got an intro mp3 in there now. (on the smooth jazz one, the one I usually listen too). Is that your voice?

My fingers are crossed for an extra special halloween treat in my bag tonight! :)

Good stuff Jay. You da man!
Jay

Post by Jay »

That was the hope and I was pushing for that but it doesn't look as though I am going to get it out tonight. In the midst of fixing SHOUTcast meta int I broke OGG support. So once OGG is fixed I will release what I got. Should not be too much longer.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

Thanks for that heads up!

I can now concentrate on swiping candy from my kids. :) Have a good Halloween!
Jay

Post by Jay »

Just an update on how things are, I have been plagued by a mysterious buffering issue this past week with regards to certain mounts. I think I have found the problem. Router traffic at my NOC has been causing Steamcast to lockup listeners on certains mounts while it attempts rDNS on this traffic. The biggest issue with regard to this bug is that this may be effecting current versions of steamcast. So I think I may have squashed a bug that may cause Steamcast to cause buffer conditions during high traffic and slow reverse DNS lookups. If you experience unexplainable buffering with steamcast disable NameLookups until the new release.
- Jay
Jay

Post by Jay »

Ok OGG streaming is in "good enough" status although I will probably revisit it later to make it better. It does at least work as well as it did before from my testing. I will be running the test for a little bit and if all goes well we will have a new version of Steamcast this week. ;)
- Jay
kqlz

Post by kqlz »

I\'m using two Steamcast 0.9.7.4b on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 4) on an i686
and they have been on for over 9 hours now and not one problem.

Everything looks great and is running fine!!

Thanks Jay!!
Nice Job once again!!!!
Thanks!
John
http://www.kqlz.org
Jay

Post by Jay »

Excellent, hopefully the next steamcast will be even more impressive. ;)
- Jay