Better Linux support?

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
kragil

Better Linux support?

Post by kragil »

Hello,

i tried steamcast on CentOS 4, Debian Sarge and Suse 10.0. But it wont work.

I always get:

error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

( I installed the libs but the error wont go away, prolly compiled for an older version )

Could you realease a updated version. Redhat 7.3 is ancient. You cant exspect people to install a unsupported insure OS just for steamcast.
Just use some recent Live CD to complie a new one please or use VirtualBox to install a new linux system.
If you dont have the bandwidth use shipit to get the most recent version of Ubuntu for free.

I hope that helps.

I think i would love it IF i was able to use it.

Thanks!
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

Are you using the most recent build? This error should no longer show on 0.9.75 beta.
- Jay
kragil

Post by kragil »

Yes, i am.
Jay

Post by Jay »

well I am running that exact build on Cent 4 and no probs so I would suspect the module you are running did not update properly. Try removing all the files in that distribution and redownloading from steamcast.com and unarchiving.

Also just for clarity the builds were done on older systems to ensure the widest possible audience for the builds. New versions no longer require any other libs then what a base linux install would have. (Similar to SHOUTcast's Linux build)
- Jay
kragil

Post by kragil »

Hmm, strange. Which module are you talking about?

I did:

yum install libstdc++

but still:
[root@ ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.4 (Final)
[root@ ~]# ./steamcast
./steamcast: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

if i have the problem on 3 different system i am prolly doing something wrong. is there something else i need to install?

thanks for all your help!
Jay

Post by Jay »

You should not have to install anything to get steamcast going. Just unarchive steamcast itself and you should be ready to go.
- Jay
kragil

Post by kragil »

YAY, i have it working.

Only problems i still have are:

- for some reason steamcast takes 100% of my CPU
- and the bandwidth limit doesnt seem to work

Cheers and thanks for this great piece of software
Jay

Post by Jay »

Care to share what happened and how you got it running for other users? As for the 100% usage disable features until it stops using and report your findings I will try to include fixes if needed in the up coming release.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

I'm going to get a new server, and am trying to decide between one with centos, or enterprise 4. if I do, I'll be willing to set up an account for you to access and test if you like Jay (as I've done before). my heart wants centos, but my business head says get enterprise 4. steamcast is one consideration of many. i'll let you know.
kragil

Post by kragil »

Ok,

on one server i still had an old version ;( ( studip me )

Its working fine on the centOS 4.4 server.

But on debian ( sarge ) if i enable

SourceAvgBitrateLimit=128

it will take all CPU cycles.

At first i thought it was only when i overstream ( with 192 kbit )
but it happens even when i stream with 96kbit.
So it seems to be a incompability between Debian and Steamcast ( i think )

I hope this helps ( took me ages to figure out ;-( , but i can test it some more if you need me to)

Cheers,

- kragil -
kragil

Post by kragil »

I just turned off that feature and still it uses nearly 100%.

so its prolly just Debian Sarge ( x86 ) not not feature related.

Sorry
Jay

Post by Jay »

does it occur when streaming to the server or anytime the server is active?
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

I have a desktop with ubuntu 7.04 beta, and it's built on Debian. I'll do some testing on it and report.
Lane

Post by Lane »

ok, done. i updated ubuntu 7.04 to the final release before testing. This is on a Pentium III, 996 mhz, 256meg.

Running the default config, no changes. I have one mount, with a 128k mp3 stream coming in. I have one listener. CPU usage once peaked at 0.7% for the one pid that shows up in a top. I've only seen that a couple of times over a couple of minutes. Usually it's either showing as 0.3%, or it's 0.0%, and off the screen in a top. In other words, it's barely noticed on this system, with one listener.

and btw. I just love ubuntu. it's making it really easy for me to convert windows users over to the light. :)
Lane

Post by Lane »

oh, extra into that could be important. i set up my caster to have yellow pages off.