kill steamcast ??

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
djjezyk

kill steamcast ??

Post by djjezyk »

Hi Jay,

first of all: really good server :D
it makes fun working with it

but now I've got a huge problem:

I have got a webhosting package with ssh but no own server. In the past I started andf stopped steamcast via ssh. Yesterday I had the (in review) bad idea starting steamcast via cronjob. Because of this is not 'my own' server (->webhosting) the pid of steamcast is now not mine and I cannot stop / kill it. I cannot send / receive streams like before, I cannot really control steamcast anymore :cry:

I have contacted my provider to kill this service but we have holiday here in Germany and nobody will be avaible for this until wednesday (for real problems there will be someone 24h/7d, but this seems not to be a real problem for my provider, thanks...).

I can reach steamcast via webinterface, but I have no idea how to kill this services (yes, steamcast is started two times, it took a short while until I realized the problem...).

Is there any possibility to kill steamcast in my situation?

thanx a lot with kind regards,
jezyk
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

killall -9 steamcast should do the trick. Reboot after killing the server this way as memory may have leaked due to the use of this command.

As for the cron job the server should just die if it isn't able to lock the incoming ports. I can probably expand to instance checking in the future but probably the best way is to write a script to check for steamcast and take action if it isn't running.
- Jay
djjezyk

that's the problem ...

Post by djjezyk »

... I can't kill via ssh, because I do not own the process, furthermore I am not able to do this reboot... I have got no v-server or dedicated or managed server, just a little webhosting package with ssh to do some cronjobs (or start steamcast...) but I have no root and no rights to kill other processes then mine (because the cronjob server started steamcast, it's not my process...)...

It seems so, that I have to wait until wednesday for the "fast" support by my provider... :cry:

But many, many thanks for the fast response :D I have started with steamcast just a few days ago, and I really, really like this tool, I think I will addicted to it for life :wink:

greetz,
jezyk
Lane

Post by Lane »

I suggest you try putting the kill command in a cronjob as well. You know the pid right? Just make sure you remove the kill from the cron jobs after it's killed.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

Ok as a last resort you can try an undocumented feature I wrote into the server, login to the admin panel and then add this to the end of your server's url in the browser.

?shutdown=y

The url should look something like this

http://yourserver:8000/admin/?shutdown=y

After this command runs your server will definately be dead but if there is a hung process then this command will not help. This will at least make the server unavailable until you can get your support to get into the server. Also try Lane's idea. That may give you the permission set needed to kill the server.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

ooo, I like undocumented features! :)
djjezyk

Post by djjezyk »

@ lane: yeah, I have tryed to add the kill into the cronjob... and no, I do not know the pid and I can't get it via "ps" 'cause it's not my process...and yes, indeed, I have change the crontab already... :?

@ jay: THANX A LOT!!! IT WORKS! :lol:

Anything else undocumented, e.g. the key to Fort Knox or something similar usefull...? :wink:

greetz,
jezyk
Lane

Post by Lane »

glad you're sorted out jezyk. Jay to the rescue!

If something like that ever happens again, you could always get the job done by putting more commands into cron, like the ps command that writes the data to a file and sets permissions so you can read it. Awkward, but it you did that with something that didn't have a nice handy 'undocumented feature', you'd get there. But anyway, no more worries!