Steamcast improvements

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
bsasninja

Steamcast improvements

Post by bsasninja »

I would like to recommend to Jay this quick improvements for Steamcast:
In our case we are a hosting company and we sell streaming services and sometimes users want access to the admin section.

Will be nice to add a variable at steamcast.conf for hidding at the Admin Section the Settings Menu.
Cause if you set a bit rate, max user and ip limit to the person you sell the service and this one has access to the settings menu, he could change the values overriding what you set before.

Wouldnt be nice to sell a 50 listener package and then the user upgrade it to 200 at the admin. :)

This also can be changed at the active source table under admin when you click on Edit under Action Menu.

Other interesting thing not complicated to do is to put a ip whois at the admin section or a link under each ip.

For example www whoistag com/domain/xx.xx.xx.xx/ where xxx are the IPs.

So you can put the in the code www whoistag com/domain/%variablehere%/

where variable prints the IP of the listener and creates a link under the IP number. So all listeners Ip will have their www whoistag com/domain/xx.xx.xx.xx/ link and users could easily identify from where are they listeners.

Well I hope you could consider this for the next version. By the way is there any new version coming soon?

Thanks
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

if a user is setup under a source user they will not be able to modify any of the parameters of their mount point. I have considered an extra option in the config file for variable locking which will not allow certain variables to be modified from the admin panel. If you feel there is a market for this then let me know. The current setup is an admin user is just as good as someone who has shell access.

Listener mapping is a consideration for a future version, I have not decided on the best way to implement it yet but it is a much needed feature that I hope to introduce soon. As far as a new version, I am hoping for something to be available late october or november and perhaps to go release by the end of the year.

This is all tentative of course.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

I recommend you write a "control panel" that will update the settings you want your user to have access too. You can let them see all the same settings, but impose your own limits in the control panel interface. This way, you can tell them they can't exceed xx for max users etc.

And I bet you could employ a firewall to redirect requests to steamcast admin to your custom control panel.

I'm not speaking for Jay of course, but if you're using steamcast in a commercial setting, it shouldn't be too difficult to employ a program to lock down certain features in the custom way you require. Doing it this way can have the advantage of being integrated with your slot purchasing system. It's what I would do.
Jay

Post by Jay »

One of my original goals for this application was to provide a api to steamcast that could allow realtime control over steamcast from an external system for just this purpose. It is definately a feature on the development list.
- Jay
bsasninja

Post by bsasninja »

"quote: If you feel there is a market for this then let me know"

Well yes, for webhosting/streaming companies is a great feature cause shell access is not provided to streamers on a shared server were lot of streaming are running.

Adding the variables to lock down features is excelent, so when a user try to modify this settings show a message like: "You are not allowed to modify this settings" or something like that.

Other thing It came to my mind that shoutcast team didnt developed is a way to block the status page.

I mean you can leave the menu of the top: status, listen, admin, about. But hidding the source and listeners is requested a lot by some radio stations. Cause they dont want that other stations see how many users they have online.

It can be achieved with a variable feature at steamcast.conf too. Instead of showing it at the main page, show this info at the admin page where a privileged user only has access to it.

Thanks!
Jay

Post by Jay »

bsasninja wrote:"quote: If you feel there is a market for this then let me know"Other thing It came to my mind that shoutcast team didnt developed is a way to block the status page.

I mean you can leave the menu of the top: status, listen, admin, about. But hidding the source and listeners is requested a lot by some radio stations. Cause they dont want that other stations see how many users they have online.

It can be achieved with a variable feature at steamcast.conf too. Instead of showing it at the main page, show this info at the admin page where a privileged user only has access to it.

Thanks!
Use 'SourceAuth=Yes' to hide a mount. Note: your stream will not be listed in yp's and users will need a username and password that you specify in the panel to access the stream. As far as hiding without sourceauth I may consider adding an option for private streams. However, if you list on any directory the status page must remain.
- Jay