steamcast unstable?

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
dj001

steamcast unstable?

Post by dj001 »

I asked my streamhost if he could connect my stream to steamcast. He said they do not support steamcast because it is unstable. I downloaded steamcast to my pc, but have not yet installed it. I don't want to create conflicts with SAM, which is running smoothly.

Is what my streamhost says about steamcast correct? Would I get a few listeners being in the steamcast and Icecast directories? How does their traffic compare with iTunes, for example?
Lane

Post by Lane »

It's technically beta, but I've run it for months at a time without issue. That said, it's probably not thoroughly tested with ever OS out there. If your service has concerns, it could merely be due to the beta label. Or it could be because they personally experienced an issue on their server. Beats me why they would choose the word unstable.

I personally think iTunes brings a lot of traffic, and more than the other dirs you mentioned. Are you actually listed on iTunes already? My understanding is it isn't easy to get on, and Apple is now downplaying the whole streaming radio aspect to iTunes.

I also think relying on lists won't get you much in listenership at the end of the day. I think coming up with a brand, and promoting it other ways is key. Services like ustream.tv is just one example of many.