yp listings

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
dj001

yp listings

Post by dj001 »

Using steamcast software, my station is now listed in the steamcast and shoutcast yps.

How do I get it into the icecast yp? (Directory=http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi is showing fine in the config file.)

How do I remove it from the shoutcast yp? (I use a streamhost for shoutcast already, but they don't support icecast or steamcast.)
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

I need to release an update to fix the xiph listing capabilities. If you do not want to be listed on shoutcast then just comment out the SourceIP or SourceIsDefault option.
- Jay
dj001

Post by dj001 »

The icecast forum says that you must put in your IP address as Server IP, and not localhost, which is what I have now. I tried this, and for some reason, my encoder disconnects. It connects with localhost, disconnects with my IP address. I looked in the config file to see if I had to enter the IP address somewhere in addition to the Port, but could not find it. I might be doing something wrong (This might not be a bug).
Last edited by dj001 on Fri May 16, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay

Post by Jay »

There is a new requirement in the icecast directory where i must specify the ip in the add call. This is not something steamcast currently does. It seems rather strange that they added this requirement. The next release will do this but the current one does not.
- Jay
dj001

Post by dj001 »

OK, I'll be on the lookout for the bugfix.
Deltamusic

Icecast yp

Post by Deltamusic »

Jay wrote:There is a new requirement in the icecast directory where i must specify the ip in the add call. This is not something steamcast currently does. It seems rather strange that they added this requirement. The next release will do this but the current one does not.
This may have something I mentioned some time ago to Jay about my Steamcast server being flooded by the "PS2 Radio Player". I had to remove the yp listing to Icecast due to this issue. . Seems it only effected the mp3 streams on Icecast.
"Its's not a Bug... It's A Feature!!"
Jay

Post by Jay »

likely what that was, is that particular player integrated the icecast directory. icecast's directory has an open XML structure just like steamcast does. So anyone can add the yp to their project.
- Jay
dj001

Post by dj001 »

I just installed icecast and connected a stream. Funny thing is, I was UNABLE to do it using my IP address. I was only able to do it using localhost.

Does this mean I can shoot my steamcast stream over to icecast (which would save bandwidth)?
balbinus

Post by balbinus »

Hello everyone,

First of all, a short introduction: I'm the dev who's primarily responsible for the rewrite of dir.xiph. org :)

Now, to answer your questions, we now do require that the listenurl be a publicly reachable UR L pointing to the stream in order to be listed. The reason is quite simple: we don't want to list non-publicly available streams, and we can't guess it from anything else. If we tried to guess it from the IP contacting us, we'd fail everytime HTT P connections are tunneled through a (possibly transparent) proxy.

Regards,
Vincent
dir.xiph.org