steamcast streams in Audiorealm directory

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
dj001

steamcast streams in Audiorealm directory

Post by dj001 »

Live365, SHOUTcast (including Windows Media and iTunes) show in my Audiorealm directory station info page. However, I am unable to get my steamcast stream to show up there (although it does show up in my SAM Statistics relays graph). I could not solve this asking SpacialAudio tech support or on its Discussion Board. I tried changing localhost to my IP in SAM config Statistics relay, but that didn't work. Any ideas?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

The audiorealm directory is a service of SpacialAudio. I imagine that this is an issue in their statistics relay module. I have no knowledge on the inner workings of SAM's statistic relay module and audiorealm.com. I would let them know of the problem and if they do not have a solution then file a bug report to them.
- Jay
dj001

Post by dj001 »

The problem is that my system for some reason requires me to use localhost as Server IP in the SAM encoder config, rather than my IP, and the steamcast stream will only show on my AudioRealm info page if I use my IP. AudioRealm Tech Support had this suggestion:

"If you have a dns server for your say your website that you have access to you can make a record on their to point to your static public ip address, it's called an A record. Check with your webhost provider.

Otherwise I would suggest doing the no-ip static hostname name along with the hosts file. Search xp hosts file for instructions."

I don't really get this? Any ideas?
Jay

Post by Jay »

So is it the encoder or the statistic relay that has to connect via the public IP? That sounds really strange. The reason you can't connect via the public IP could be multiple. If you have a router then a firewall might be blocking the source port, so be sure to open both the port specified in the config and the port above. Also some routers do not allow you to connect via your public IP.
- Jay
dj001

Post by dj001 »

Jay wrote:So is it the encoder or the statistic relay that has to connect via the public IP? That sounds really strange. The reason you can't connect via the public IP could be multiple. If you have a router then a firewall might be blocking the source port, so be sure to open both the port specified in the config and the port above. Also some routers do not allow you to connect via your public IP.
The encoder will only connect with localhost. The statistic relay, however, requires my IP. The encoder uses 8002, and I enabled 8002-8003 in the router. By the way, I have never been able to play streams broadcast from this IP. I use my mobile to test that they are working.
Jay

Post by Jay »

does shoutcast also run on the same machine? if not then I would guess that is what the problem is. It might be time for a new router that allows you to connect to your own public ip.
- Jay
dj001

Post by dj001 »

the shoutcast streams go to a stream host, so I can listen to those from the streamhost.
Jay

Post by Jay »

dj001 wrote:the shoutcast streams go to a stream host, so I can listen to those from the streamhost.
k I am willing to bet money that it is probably because of this issue of using localhost. Try getting a friend to host a steamcast and testing hosting it remotely, I bet it will list then.
- Jay
dj001

Post by dj001 »

Just a thought: does the steamcast encoder have to be on the same machine as the broadcasting software?
Jay

Post by Jay »

no steamcast works very similar to how shoutcast and icecast operate.
- Jay
dj001

Post by dj001 »

strange, it's a Belkin router that was bought about a year ago. didn't think it was outmoded in any way. in fact, the goal was state-of-the-art.
Jay

Post by Jay »

not sure I haven't had much experience with belkin products. It really doesn't matter how new the router is. This is a firmware issue. Some router firmware just doesn't support this type of connection.
- Jay
dj001

Post by dj001 »

Same problem at icecast. Karl suggested I put Audiorealm's IP into the icecast config file. Does this sound right, or will the router still make it impossible?
Jay

Post by Jay »

putting it where? no, this does not sound right. I assume he means to add it to the directory specification. That won't work because audiorealm is not running an Icecast YP. As I said if you want to trial this without making an investment get steamcast hosted outside of your locale and see if that gets it listed.
- Jay
Deltamusic

Post by Deltamusic »

Hi guys.... I may be way off base, but I had something similar to that way back when I was first starting and was trying Spacial. Someone in the forum there said try a dns server as I don't have a static ip. I found Freedns... www.afraid.org. I have been using it ever since with now problems since. Josh at Freedns said it had something to do with having a registerd name server pointing to my ip. Well it works for me and have had no problems. I had to get away from Audiorealm as I did not like all the reporting back and forth between myself and them. Well good luck.

Fred
"Its's not a Bug... It's A Feature!!"