I'm Considering steamcast instead of icecast. I got some Q's

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
cmodyssey

I'm Considering steamcast instead of icecast. I got some Q's

Post by cmodyssey »

As I'm considering moving to steamcast, there's a few things that icecast does that I'm not sure if steamcast does.

The features I still want if I was to move to steamcast are as follows:

1) Dump file - With icecast, you can configure it to save the audio that is being streamed to the server to an mp3 file. Is there any way to do this in steamcast?

2) Source connect and disconnect scripts - With icecast, you can configure it to run a shell or PERL script etc. What I'm looking for is for steamcast to call various scripts when it notices that a source has connected and disconnected.

Would someone mind letting me know if these features are available in steamcast.

Thanks in advance.
Lane

Post by Lane »

It doesn't directly do those things to my knowledge (If I'm mistaken, someone please correct me), but they can be easily done with external programs/scripts.

For recording, there is a command line program called http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/. Wrap your own control script around that, and it should be able to record for you as desired.

For actions based on source mounts, you can have an external script or daemon monitor the connections. One way is to read the xml info for the current mount info.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

These are certainly interesting feature suggestions though and seem easy enough to implement.
- Jay
cmodyssey

Post by cmodyssey »

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your reply.

If these features where to be included in a future release of Steamcast, could I also ask that the ability of having the IP address of the source can be made part of the dump filename be possible please?

Thanks.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

that seems reasonable.
- Jay