SrcIP not working as expected

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
Lane

SrcIP not working as expected

Post by Lane »

tested with the linux version on a couple different systems. this is my first try at limiting access for a special circumstance. doesn't appear to allow access as I understand it should.

instead of SrcIP determining where I can connect through, it seems ServIP does. If I set SrcIP to 127.0.0.1, I can still connect from another machine. Whereas, if I have SrcIP=PublicIP, and ServIP=127.0.0.1, I can't connect from another machine. it says the right stuff in the console log, but it really seems like inside steamcast, the binding/listening for SrcIP is actually using the value for ServIP. Am I misunderstanding the docs on this?

In short, what I'm trying to do is stealth a port/mount a DJ connects to. I'd like to relay it with another instance of steamcast on the same server. I'd like to be able to only listen on the same server, while allowing DJs to connect from anywhere.

Any thoughts on this Jay?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Re: SrcIP not working as expected

Post by Jay »

srcIP only works on the source port in a shoutcast style encoder, if the dj encoder is an Icecast based encoder then it uses the servIP. This is just a difference in protocol design between the two servers.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

Thanks for explaining that. I didn't realise it wouldn't work with an icecast type connection. Testing it now with a shoutcast type.
Lane

Post by Lane »

I thought I'd follow up to say that if I stick to shoutcast style connections, I get the behaviour I expect. What I'm actually doing is having two instances of steamcast running on the same port. One has ServIP set to localhost, and SrcIP set to the public IP. The other steamcast is reversed. DJ's can connect to the invisible one. The purpose of this is so a studio can listen to the DJ's mount (which is relaying on a mount requiring auth on the public steamcast), process the audio through some fancy gear, and then stream it back. If the studio is offline, we have the studio mount set to use the DJ mount as backup. We want to avoid people being able to listen to the DJ directly whenever the studio is online. In any event, the testing seems to be going good. Thanks again for pointing out the icecast style connections aren't compatible with this.