Steamcast & SAM Problems

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
JERIC

Steamcast & SAM Problems

Post by JERIC »

I've been using the same 64k aacPlus encoder in SAM and I have never received this error through the SHOUTcast server. When switching to the the Steamcast encoder I intermittently get this error.

Code: Select all

E 2009-11-05 05:29:58 [Encoder1] Unable to send data fast enough. Encoding paused until buffer clears...
It dumps all of the listeners too. What I also notice is the relay stat in SAM looks like it almost in VBR, varying from 63k to 100k. I've never seen that before.

Is there some buffer setting or something I need to address? I am trying to convert to Steamcast but this issue and not getting listed on the Icecast YPs kinda makes the whole point of using it moot.

I tried searching for this issue but the forums were timing out during the search.

Also, do you recommend using the Icecast or SHOUTcast confuration in the aacPlus encoder to connect to the Steamcast server?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Re: Steamcast & SAM Problems

Post by Jay »

What is the CPU usage like? Do you get a lot of traffic? The buffer is fairly static so no setting should change the way it behaves on the source side.

As for the Icecast YP, they pulled a fast one and change the requirements for listing there. The solution isn't elegant unfortunately.

Either icecast or shoutcast configuration are fine. There is no best way to do it, just preferred. So we leave it up to the broadcaster.
- Jay
JERIC

Post by JERIC »

CPU is <5% on an 8-core system. I do get a lot of traffic but at the time this relay was only getting 10-20 listeners. Encoding to the SHOUTcast server (same location) with hundred of listeners wasn't produced a problem in years of use.

I will wait until the next release and try again.

Thanks for your responses.
voice23

Post by voice23 »

Old problem. Dealing with the 'unable to send fast enough' issue. Sam Broadcaster also.

I never had problems with my DSL connection. I changed to a wireless internet provider for economic issues. Any experience with that as a relative reason for this problem?

I do not get a consistent upload and dl speed. The latency sucks (sometimes 170+ ms). Not all of the three streams are affected. One or two at a time will go down.

I use a dedicated server so there is not much additional CPU usage, other than the broadcasts.

Any ideas?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

In that case I would put the broadcaster on another wired connection. For a few years I had a dedicated server that would handle all my sourcing. Now that I have fiber optic here I can now broadcast at the house to multiple streams in multiple formats.
- Jay