What's new?

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
stevewa2

What's new?

Post by stevewa2 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:49 am

Hi, I was registered on this board back in 2016, but I could not remember which email address I used, so I could not reset my login password, so I created a 2nd user account.

I'm interested in getting back into online audio streaming, so I'm back to researching server software again, and came back to Steamcast.

I downloaded the latest Win version, dated Dec 2015, and wondered if you are still working on this project, or does it not need anything new since 2015?

I am interested in trying to use listener authentication triggers to recv listener data from http headers, and tie that in with some scripts (i.e. icecast url auth), which could be used to identify returning users, log visits, and play different intro files(i.e. "Hey welcome back [insert username here] !")

It appears the existing user auth is file based xml only, so I assume this idea is a no go?

Another question (not directly related to Steamcast):
Does anyone have a user auth stream that works with iOS radio stream listener apps such as "simple Radio"? How does an iOS (or Android) app handle an auth request? Does it redirect to a web browser on the smartphone to a url which user can login? I've never seen it.

I believe in your desire to make steamcast better than Icecast/Shoutcast, but I'm worried that it's been 4 years since a new version was released. And I'm not really clear on the advantages / benefits of using Steamcast instead of Icecast / Shoutcast or even Icecast-KH, which has source code available on GitHub if you want to extend the capabilities... If you want to describe what your vision for the future is, I'm all ears :)