Steamcast Linux binary image portability.

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Steamcast Linux binary image portability.

Post by Jay »

I have recently unearthed a small issue with regard to the unix binary of steamcast. The issue is related to the portability of gethostbyaddr(). The result affect is that you may experience undesired behavior when Steamcast attempts a DNS resolution.

If you try it and have problems with it SegFaulting or dying please attempt the following steps.

Disable NameLookups: in the steamcast.conf file set
NameLookups=No

Use the dotted ip address for any YP's you use (this may result in Sites hosted as Vhosts to not resolve properly.

Disable listing on shoutcast.com by setting the SourceIsDefault configuration value to No on all source items.

I hope to have this tracked and fixed soon.
Last edited by Jay on Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jay
Jay

Post by Jay »

have not gotten any other reports of problems here so I am unstickying this.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

Ah, this must be the thread you were talking about when you said you already mentioned the segmentation fault problem.

I thought I got rid of the segmentation fault problem by turning off the logging of YP touches (YPLog=No). I was able to repeatedly connect and disconnect without a segmentation fault. Then it started failing again, so I must have just been lucky at that time. There has to be another variable that's external to steamcast. Could it be DNS resolution time? Shoutcast.com is down right now, I should test what happens now!
Jay

Post by Jay »

Something you might try is disabiling NameLookups if you have it enabled. This is what this post was actually in reference to, although I had not seen evidence of a problem in a while. Another thing to try is disabling all logging, screen and file logging and see if that resolves it. Several windows 2003 users have reported that it helps increase server stability
- Jay