www.steamcast.com

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

www.steamcast.com

Post by Jay »

I am almost done working on Steamcast's home yp directory at www.steamcast.com. The idea was to be as player independent as possible and still be player specific if neccessary. Peruse and let me know your thoughts.

For now the old yp touch url will work for Steamcast.com but this will change soon.
- Jay
webranger

Post by webranger »

The shoutcast directory exploded, so I figured what the heck, I'd give it a try. Basically, I just switched the stuff from sc_serv.ini to steamcast.conf and bingo!, it seems to be really good. I'm using sc_nsv to feed it and it doesn't seem to be any different than shoutcast. It only took me about 5 minutes to change.

A couple of things that were not so nifty:

No radiotoolbox :-( and the script I use to retrieve "Now Playing" and "Number of Viewers" doesn't work either.

Do you have plans to make this shoutcast compatible, or should I cobble something together?.

Does steamcast have any policies about anything like hTtP or content or anything or is this a free for all?.

I know this is sort of an experiment, but you must have thought about the future a little.

Good work

Kevin

http://webranger.net
[size=0]New! City of Roses Radio - Rock, Blues, Jazz More[/size]
Jay

Post by Jay »

no, steamcast will likely have a different stats interface then shoutcast, but it will utilize xml just with a different structure and at this time it is non-functional. I will definately be looking at adding stats soon, but will not make any definate plan to add it to 0.9.6. If I have time I will if not well, it will definately see it's way in soon.

As for content specific stuff at this time I am making no policy in regards to the type of content that can be broadcast on the steamcast directory. However, I will be taking steps to add a rating system in to at least block out content that someone might not like seeing. The rating system will be user driven and it will be completely up to each directory owner as to whether to implement the feature or not. If abuse becomes a problem then I will definately take steps to curtail it, but I really doubt it will be a big issue due to the fact that we are not nearly as popular as shoutcast and one would not really benefit from abusing the directory in the way that we have seen shoutcast's abused.
- Jay
Jay

Post by Jay »

ok after many complaints about the dark colors at steamcast.com I have changed the colors to a lighter style. Let me know your thoughts. I know it might not make everyone happy but at least this is legible.
- Jay
bingo

Post by bingo »

Hum Jay, you are the boss but aren't those colors too bright ? I wonder if people will be able to read a list like this one :)
Jay

Post by Jay »

kicked back the white back ground a bit.
- Jay
bingo

Post by bingo »

It is better for the eyes. Good choice.