A Couple Of Thoughts....

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
themixturemedia

A Couple Of Thoughts....

Post by themixturemedia »

Hey there Jay Dj Clash here some thoughts it would go along way in making your server alot better then shoutcast or icecast. There should be a way to let the server ban stream rippers. What I mean by that is tell the program what players to look for and when it comes up ban them right from the start. :twisted: One of the BIG problems with online radio is stream rippers and if the server did it for you (banned) instead of writing php and figuring it out would be good. I am not shure why no one else is doing this right now. Thats it for right now if I can think of anything else I will let you know.

Dj Clash 8)

http://themixturemedia.no-ip.com
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

already does this, ban User-Agent. However user-agents are not a very good way of determining if someone is streamripping you. The best thing to do is read my article in the artciles section of this forum about thrwarting streamrippers.
- Jay
Deltamusic

Post by Deltamusic »

The following is from my Shoutcast log.

:?: (UID:926)[L: 1]{A: Engelmann Media Radio Listener}

This is the first agent I banned using your new server only to find that my stream had already been listed on their radio listings free music using their Audiojack software. I read your artical and found it to the point, but it seems to me that there should be a way to block this companies software from loggin to a stream. If I knew how I would ban the Agent along with the assoiated ip. This is not a stream ripper but a song ripping service that makes its money from Icecast , Shoutcast & now Steamcast servers. This is the link I found posted on an Icecast mail list. :?

:arrow: http://www.audiojack.org/index.php?file ... ng=english

Otherewise keep up tha good work! :D
Jay

Post by Jay »

yes, if there were some way to block a particular service from misusing your service then I would be all over it, but this is the internet and freedom of data/information is the rule here. The HTTP/ICY protocol provide no means to block a particular use (and even if it did it would be cracked in no time). The only thing you can do in this circumstance is to ask to be removed from their list.
- Jay
Deltamusic

Post by Deltamusic »

I did add that agent using Steamcast and it seemed to work. Am running a test node with steamcast. Is there a way to run more than one instance of Steamcast... like Shoutcast by changing the names? Also is it possible to import my "ban list from Shout? Do wich Steamcast would interface with RTB as it is a quick way to moniter servers.. :?:
Fred aka Delta

"Its's not a Bug... It's A Feature"
"Its's not a Bug... It's A Feature!!"
Jay

Post by Jay »

currently steamcast does not store it's bans yet, this will be implemented soon. As for running multiple steamcast servers you can use one server to stream multiple streams by taking advantage of the SourceMount configuration option. it is virtually unlimited how many streams one server can handle. If you still need to have multiple instances then all you need to do is specify a different configuration file at the command line.

ex.
./steamcast steamcast2.conf

in that steamcast2.conf change the portbase and log/pid file names.
- Jay