Fighting Stream Rippers

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
themixturemedia

Fighting Stream Rippers

Post by themixturemedia »

Hey Jay look is it hard (I have no idea) to put in the admin part of the program. A way to block people that are logging on with a certain type of player i.e. winamp or winamp 3.X . You could put in what programs to be aware of and block them. There really needs to be a way of stoping rippers and that seems like a really good way. :twisted:
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

the only way to identify someone connecting to you is based off of what they send you, this can be falsified so please do not assume that any technical scheme can be used to blanket block streamripping. The only thing I could give you was a user-agent block, which will blocked based on what is in the user-agent field. I stress though that many manipulate this to look like an honest player. This feature is already in the banning capabilities of the server, so ban away using the ban control panel or find the offending user in the client list and choose ban agent.

Check out my article on streamripping the points I make their will far outweight any technical gizmo I could put into the server.
- Jay