Username and Password

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
baffled

Username and Password

Post by baffled »

Hi Jay,
I stream NSV files and have been using your auth system to protect the stream. Is there anyway to mak a pop up box that asks users for there user name and password. At the moment we are doing it like this username:password@ipofserver:port they have to replace the username and password bit and put into Winamp play URL. For some this is very dificult and i would like to make it easier if posible. Is there a way i can put a link up that will make a pop up box appear?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

if you just give them the regular stream address the Winamp client pops a box up.
- Jay
baffled

Post by baffled »

Jay wrote:if you just give them the regular stream address the Winamp client pops a box up.
Sorry for being so dumb but how would i do that? :oops:
Jay

Post by Jay »

in winamp or any other media player that supports authentication assuming your mount is live.mp3, "http://ipofserver:port/live.mp3" without quotes.
- Jay
baffled

Post by baffled »

Hi Jay,

It seems i have a big problem: If i use the mount mp3 sure enough the password box pops up, unfortunately as its NSV i'm streaming the wont sync to mpeg so just gives the message ICY200 OK after entering username and password. If i change the mount to /live.nsv No password box pops up and the message in the player just says 401 unauthorised. Is there anyway to get the password box pop up with the mount /live.nsv ?

Thanks in advance. :D
Jay

Post by Jay »

Not sure I have not really tested Winamp's NSV support with Authentication. You may need to give the username and password in parameter fields. I'll play with it later and see if I can figure anything out. For now just make sure you have the latest version of winamp.
- Jay
baffled

Post by baffled »

Ok, thanks Jay, I'll look forward to results of your playing with it.
BTW, This has to be the best software i have evr used. :D :D
baffled

Post by baffled »

Hi Jay,
Any news on authentication with NSV? I for one am really looking forward to the next release. Do you have a paypal donnation link i can add some cash to?

Keep up the good work :D
Jay

Post by Jay »

well it works, just winamp is not going to give you a dialog to enter in your authentication information, just use the parameter fields as I stated.
- Jay
Replay

User Names and Paswords

Post by Replay »

Ok, my server guy set up steamauth.txt file for user names and passwords for the streams as I am wanting these to be subscription. He also gave an FTP access to it for some sort of automated system to add user names and passwords but said we would have to design that. I know PayPal can generate user names and passwords but getting it to the txt. file so steamcast recoginizes it is another item, I am a very limited amatuer when it comes to web stuff. I also assume I would have to remove user names and passwords manually. Does anyone have a system they use for this and could possibly share it with me. Thanks