bandwidth reduction on unlistened feeds

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
Lane

bandwidth reduction on unlistened feeds

Post by Lane »

Something shoutcast does that is desirable in steamcast is when no one is listening it drops the relay source receiving stream . No point is bringing it in if no one is going to listen. This saves bandwidth of course. Might such a feature find it's way in steamcast someday?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

shoutcast does not do that. Nor is it really a good idea to do that.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

I'm mistaken that shoutcast does this. It was obviously some other program that I can't recall. BUT. It *is* a very good idea. It could be implemented in a way to query the source occasionally to get title information, and even update the shoutcast and similar dirs. When a listener comes along, I'd have a local mp3 stream while the buffer is rebuilt. Call it an ad! The bandwidth savings can be considerable, especially at 128kbps.

The way I would personally use this is to have a private stream server at home, and a public relay at an external server. The only time I'd be using bandwidth is when I have an actual listener at the public server.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

Yes but therein lies the problem. In order to list on shoutcast you must have content and unfortunately without a connected source you technically don't. When a listener attempts to tune in and some network problem exists between the server and your relay the listener will be dropped. I have to follow suit with SHOUTcast behaviors to list on Shoutcast.com otherwise we risk being removed much the way Icecast was.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

ok, that's fair enough if shoutcast requires it, and you don't want to risk having steamcast removed, then how about allowing it if you're not public? I'll likely be using steamcast to relay an fm community station that won't be listed in shoutcast. If SaveBandwith=Yes, then YP listing is disabled. My own feeling is that in this case, saving bandwidth is more important than shoutcast listing. Well, one guys two cents.