ListenerTimer

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
djclae

ListenerTimer

Post by djclae »

One feature I really use in the Shoutcast config file is the ListenerTimer. I know, I used to think it was stupid, like the rest of you, but now I swear by it. I set mine to an 8 hour limit because that's about as long as I can conceivably imagine a person listening to it in one sitting, barring the rare case the station is being played in a business establishment or something like that. Sure, unless you ban the IP, the streamrippers can always just reconnect, but it gives me peace of mind to know I'm stopping people who like to leave their computer turned on with the station running all day, whether they're listening or not. It starts to make sense when you have a limited amount of bandwidth/slots.

So how about adding the option of a time limit in an upcoming version? It doesn't seem like it would be a difficult one to add, and I believe it's an important one. Love the program otherwise since I started experimenting with it.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

yea, it will be in the next version.
- Jay
djclae

Post by djclae »

Awesome! If I can get the reporting working with Shoutcast, I will start using Steamcast on all my streams if it's as stable as the current vision. I'm already running a 5-slot relay right now that I'm having no problems with. I love that it lists on all the different directories, and I really appreciate the extra options in the admin interface. Great job on it!
Talex
Stream Host

ListenerTimer and ReserveIP

Post by Talex »

Will IP addresses in the reserved file also get disconnected with the "ListenerTimer" feature?

regards
Talex
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

all listeners are subject to the ListenerTimer.
- Jay
Talex
Stream Host

Post by Talex »

Thanks Jay.

Any ideas for a work around?

I would like to keep one permanent connection for each of my streams, but disconnect everybody else after a set time.

Any suggestions you can give me would be a great help.

Thanks
Talex