Peak listeners exceeds server limit

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
djclae

Peak listeners exceeds server limit

Post by djclae »

Check it out. A peak of 7 listeners on a 5 listener server:

http://radio2.j-fan.com:8600/

If there's a technical reason this is possible, it might be a good idea to change it so that the peak listener number can't exceed the limit under any circumstances. Just an inquiry and a suggestion.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

well if I did that then there would be no point in beta testing. The idea is to understand the circumstances that cause such a thing to occur not to hard code it to never exceed that. If this is a bug I would never know of it if it were hidden purposefully.

Unless you actually see the listener count sustained over the max listener for a large period of time. (over a fraction of a second) then this is likely just a syncronization issue.
- Jay
djclae

Post by djclae »

Yeah, that was basically my feeling. I don't want to mess up your beta testing. I guess I was just looking for a long-term solution too early, assuming it's a normal problem to have. So do you see this on a lot of people's servers?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

shoutcast also has this issue on extremely popular servers but as I said our polling is done a little differently, so to say that this is uncommon would be inaccurate. You definately shouldn't concern yourself with it.
- Jay