AAC Question

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
themixturemedia

AAC Question

Post by themixturemedia »

Hey there Jay how's it going question just for the hell of it I am tring out AAC on to go with the Ogg and Mp3. We'll I set in oddcast the quality to 0 the same as I have it at Ogg stream and oddcast says it is streaming it at 64K. But when I listen to it or look for it on your site it says it is a very high stream or streaming at 128K why is it doing this I just want it to stream out at 64K with the rest of the streams. Any ideas here is some links thanks :twisted:

http://dir.xiph.org/index.php?sgenre=&s ... ture+media
http://www.steamcast.com/?t=&g=&s=mixture+media
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

if I remember right oddcast uses the bitrate setting to use for publishing in the yp. Change your bitrate in the oddcast config (for lame) and it should be reflected in the directories. Steamcast will soon not be taking the information from sources as too many are taking creative license with it and more or less making it more difficult to be a yp.
- Jay
themixturemedia

getting out????

Post by themixturemedia »

What do you mean "Steamcast will soon not be taking the information from sources as too many are taking creative license with it and more or less making it more difficult to be a yp" does that mean your going to be shutting down steamcast? I hope not this site and the program is 10 times better then anything out there.
The Mixture Media Radio: :twisted:
The best on-line music from the 60's,70's,80's,90's and today. Streaming at 64kbps/48khz (MP3) and 32kbps/44khz (Ogg) 24 hours a day 7 days a week. With great sound and even better music.
Jay

Post by Jay »

no, what I am saying is that the source sets the bitrate via a header either ice-bitrate for icecast or icy-br for shoutcast. Many encoders who use VBR can't easily determine the bitrate or use hardcoded values. Steamcast will soon be utilizing it's internal bitrate detection code to publicize this information to Steamcast.com or icecast's directory as that is a more accurate stat then a quality setting or some other varience the encoder's programmer decides to use.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

One thing I noticed with the bitrate detection is that it's always freakishly high, and then slowly drops towards the real value. I'm wondering how your algorithm works. More specifically, does it continuously average in some way? I'm thinking if it was limited in the amount of time it saw back, and averaged, say the last minute, it should sooner get rid of artificially high values. I haven't yet experimented to find out why I get those high values at the start, but it seems to happen all the time to me, on every mount I've ever set up.
Jay

Post by Jay »

yes, the currently released steamcast just averaged. The new steamcast will do the same but it will only look back over the last 15 seconds, which is far more accurate. The reason the initial high bitrate occurs is because usually most encoders send a burst of data to the server.
- Jay