couple steamcast questions and stuff

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

I could really utilize this feature from the shoutcast...in steamcast:
; TitleFormat specifies a format string for what title is sent to the listener.
; For example, a string of 'Justin Radio' forces the title 'Justin Radio' even
; when the source changes the title. You can use up to one '%s' in the string
; which lets you contain the title from the source. For example, if your
; TitleFormat is 'Justin Radio: %s', and the source plug-in's title is
; 'Billy plays the blues', then the net title is
; 'Justin Radio: Billy plays the blues'. Note: only works on non-relay servers.
; The default is no format string.
; TitleFormat=Justin Radio: %s
Any possability of working that in? Or is it already there and I missed it somehow?

Thanks!
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

yea I can add that
- Jay
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

I'm not sure that this is a bug or not. But when streaming "live", the data rate the server reads is fairly close to the bitrate being streamed.

For example, a 56k stream will show throughput from 53-62k/s or a 320k stream will show 314-340k/s.

When relaying, a 56k stream will show throughput at 1024k/s, and at 320k it shows about the same. I'm assuming because in relay mode I'm going server 2 server, but it throws off the bandwidth limiter.

I'm also finding that after a day or so, the server becomes intermittent and needs a reboot.

I can send you the info so you can have your own server to test with if you want (10 listeners), should be plenty to see problems, I get problems with my 320k stream and haven't had more then 4 simultaneous listeners (and yes, i have more then enough bandwidth ;)).

Thanks!
Jay

Post by Jay »

sure, although I have pretty much reworked this code it can't hurt to see how you are getting it to do this.
- Jay
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

Try this, start a relay, open the steamcast page localhost:port and check out the \"Data Rate\".

Refresh the screen a few times and watch how it drops 1 digit with every refresh.

Then start a stream from an encoder (not relay), it starts out in the right range and doesn\'t fluctuate much.

I forgot to mention I\'m testing on nix. Red Hat Enterprise 3
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

Thank you for the new .conf options! I'm getting my beta customers setup with the latest beta to test right now!

Thanks!
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

YIKES! dear god...this one can't seem to handle any streaming in relay mode, haven't tested live yet...

sounds like brup, pop, slurp, blip...goes to roll back...no logical excuse available either...using default config and everything. No custom weird setup. Testing at 320k and 56k...

The 320k stream makes funny blurp noises every 3 seconds, the 56k just has dead air gaps every 3 seconds. Something is really not right with this version...

**The live streaming *seems* to be ok so far...**

Also, the stream title over-ride doesn't seem to work on relays. On live streams the over-ride is bumped to the end once stream titles are pushed through. A behavior shoutcast doesn't seem to exhibit.

The bitrate counter/limiter seems to be working correctly live/relay.

Last but not least, your new YP setting for "steamcast" doesn't work, but the old one for radiotoolbox does.
Jay

Post by Jay »

relay has never really worked, it's something that needs work. Make sure the master server your relaying from has a metaint of 8192.

Title formating has never and will never take over a relayed stream, this is for yp consistency.

Explain more on what you mean by "bumped to the end'.

The steamcast setting had better work, if not you will soon not have an option to list, I am removing the radiotoolbox yp touch script soon.

The proper setting should be
http://www.steamcast.com/sbin/yp.php

if it still doesn't work then please provide relevant logs displaying the error that is occuring.
- Jay
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

Jay wrote:relay has never really worked, it's something that needs work. Make sure the master server your relaying from has a metaint of 8192.
It works in the last version, but not this new version. Its like it is always combating an underrun (though its not, its just the sound it makes in the stream)
Title formating has never and will never take over a relayed stream, this is for yp consistency.

Explain more on what you mean by "bumped to the end'.
That makes sense for relaying, for live streaming...the title is at the beginning of the stream title...then once the first artist name - song title tag comes through, it pushes the over-ride to the end.

So when the stream first starts up it looks like:
My Custom Title Over-ride: TestServer1

Then the first song comes through the meta data and it begins to look like this:
Artist Name - Song Title (TestServer1)(My Custom Title Over-ride:)

On shoutcast it will look like this:
MyCustom Title Over-ride: Artist Name - Song Title (TestServer1)
The steamcast setting had better work, if not you will soon not have an option to list, I am removing the radiotoolbox yp touch script soon.

The proper setting should be
http://www.steamcast.com/sbin/yp.php

if it still doesn't work then please provide relevant logs displaying the error that is occuring.
Yeah it doesn't work... The server says its touching just fine, so I can't provide you any logs showing otherwise, but the directory won't take the listing.

Also, if I drop back to the radiotoolbox listing, and I have 2 servers running on the same IP...only 1 listing will show for whatever server was started first.

If I roll back to the last version, I can touch Steamcast and get listed just fine with as many servers as I please.

Hope this helps~
Jay

Post by Jay »

betatester wrote: It works in the last version, but not this new version. Its like it is always combating an underrun (though its not, its just the sound it makes in the stream)
That is the meta data, please provide me with links to both the relaying and master server so I can take a look. If you are certain that meta ints are set properly in your master then this could be a bug, but as I said the whole relaying part of steamcast is written fairly poorly but it works with standard configurations of SHOUTcast and Steamcast NOT Icecast2
betatester wrote:That makes sense for relaying, for live streaming...the title is at the beginning of the stream title...then once the first artist name - song title tag comes through, it pushes the over-ride to the end.

So when the stream first starts up it looks like:
My Custom Title Over-ride: TestServer1

Then the first song comes through the meta data and it begins to look like this:
Artist Name - Song Title (TestServer1)(My Custom Title Over-ride:)

On shoutcast it will look like this:
MyCustom Title Over-ride: Artist Name - Song Title (TestServer1)
Well I can assure you that shoutcast doesn't work that way, it is specifically up to the player to determine where the artist and title go from meta data. It should be in the form of Arist - Title (Station Name)

However, it definately shouldn't list like 'TestServer1)(My Custom Title Over-ride:' for title name, again send me your setting for this so I can test it out.
betatester wrote:Yeah it doesn't work... The server says its touching just fine, so I can't provide you any logs showing otherwise, but the directory won't take the listing.

Also, if I drop back to the radiotoolbox listing, and I have 2 servers running on the same IP...only 1 listing will show for whatever server was started first.

If I roll back to the last version, I can touch Steamcast and get listed just fine with as many servers as I please.

Hope this helps~
Let it run on the new yp for a while and see what happens. I have been using the new location as well as others for a while so I have no specific indication that there is a problem. I will be out for the rest of the weekend but I definately want to button up this problem when I get back.
- Jay
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

When you get back, maybe we can converse in private... I rolled back to the older version for now, so I'll need to setup a server that you can check out...I just don't want to make it public because it sounds terrible.

I'm using the default config from shoutcast (master), and the default config steamcast (relay).

I got the server setup, I just don't want to start it until you are available for checking it out...I don't feel comfortable posting public links to the beta servers (there not my stations anyways, just using them to test on).

To see the buggy title display:

Simply do the following to your config in the right spot...

change: %s powered by steamcast
becoms: My Custom Title Over-Ride: %s

Wait for the first songs metadata to come through (default winamp settings, no MP3pro decoder or any other custom setups...I only test with default setups to make it easier for you ;)) You'll see how the over-ride gets pushed to the end...

**It appears that this behavior is what is locking me out of steamcast directory...commenting that area out all together makes me show up on steamcast.com
djclae

Post by djclae »

Yep, same problem here. It's stuttering and severely lagging behind the local Shoutcast it's relaying.

I should mention, I'm not sure if you realize this, but the current release of Shoutcast comes with a different metaint set than 8192, even though it suggests 8192 in the comments.

Relaying worked great in the last version regardless of how I had this set (at least for a few days, then it would eventually start stuttering).

I set the Shoutcast I'm relaying to 8192, and now it works fine. I suggest you do the same instead of rolling back.

You should make this a separate topic. I almost posted a new topic before I found this. I'll bet there are a lot of people running in relay mode, since they are running beta test steamcast setups on the side.
Last edited by djclae on Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay

Post by Jay »

guys, if you can, please pm me the server address that you are relaying from.
- Jay
djclae

Post by djclae »

Sorry. Read edit above. The config file on the latest Shoutcast has a strange quirk.

My Steamcast runs at http://radio2.j-fan.com:8600. It's relaying localhost:8000. Feel free to check on it anytime.

Like I said, with 8192 set as the metaint it's relaying, the Steamcast relay now seems to be working right.
Last edited by djclae on Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay

Post by Jay »

yup they set it much higher about 4 times higher then it used to be. Soon it won't matter I am working on rewriting the metaint handling in steamcast for relays.
- Jay