Question reguarding \

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
Deltamusic

Question reguarding \

Post by Deltamusic »

Had two users with unfamiliar agents login at same time. Thought it strange there was only 1 digit difference in their ip addr.

200.168.85.85 /live.mp3 - NSPlayer/9.0.0.2980
200.168.85.86 /live.mp3 - xine/1.01
I did an Agent-Ban on both and my listen count changed to \"-1\" in both RTB & Steamcast. After a port scan I found the NSPlayer ip still active. After restarting Steamcast things seemed normal, but neither one of the Agents I banned were listed and I showed a connect to port 8000 with the NSPlayer ip
Am I missing something??
"Its's not a Bug... It's A Feature!!"
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

yes I am working on rewriting the listener count code as we speak.

NSPlayer is Windows Media Player so it might not be wise to ban it unless you have something against those who use Microsoft products :)

xine is another media player. I strongly caution Steamcast users from being over-zealous with the ban agent feature. While it seems easy enough to block bad agents, over use or being over paranoid about unknown agents could lead to you blocking alot of legit users from your system. Real streamrippers mask their user-agent with common ones such as Winamp anyway.
- Jay
Lane

Post by Lane »

In my opinion, it's impossible to ban stream rippers anyway. I think it can lead to the looney bin trying. Except for maybe that microsoft ban, that sounded good to me! ;)