Using RadioToolbox with TuneIn API

Ask questions, request features, or just complement us about our software and services.
lawlert88

Using RadioToolbox with TuneIn API

Post by lawlert88 »

Hello!

My apologies if this is redundant, but I am trying to figure out a way to use Radio Toolbox to send title & artist info directly to TuneIn for my stream - I send title/artist to the Shoutcast server, but they want it send directly to them via their API for some functions to work (playlist listing on the website, and artist alerts).

Below is what they have listed on their website as a request template:
# Update the song now playing on a station
GET http://air.radiotime.com/Playing.ashx?p ... =Lady+Gaga
How would I be able to get Radio Toolbox v2 to send the appropriate info to TuneIn? I assume I use the notifications editor and the method would be GET, but after that I am lost.

My automation system is NexGen101, and it can output to IP, text, XML, etc...the downside is that it only can output to ONE source.

Thank you for any guidance!

Tom Lawler
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Re: Using RadioToolbox with TuneIn API

Post by Jay »

You would use the Notification feature with the URL supplied

Simply replace the relevant parts with one or more of the templates below

"%_STATION_NAME_%
%_STATION_LISTENERS_%
%_STATION_TRACK_%
%_STATION_ARTIST_%
%_STATION_TITLE_%
%_STATION_ALBUM_%
%_STATION_ALBUM_COVER_%
%_STATION_TRACK_DURATION_%
%_STATION_TRACK_RETRIEVAL_STATUS_%
%_STATION_ACTIVE_SERVERS_%
%_STATION_TOTAL_SERVERS_%
%_STATION_LOWEST_SERVER_ADDRESS_%
%_STATION_ALBUM_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_TRACK_COUNT_%

%_STATION_AUDIO_CHECK_SUCCESS_%
%_STATION_AUDIO_DBV_RIGHT_%
%_STATION_AUDIO_DBV_LEFT_%
%_STATION_AUDIO_CHECK_INTERVAL_%
%_STATION_AUDIO_DBV_MINIMUM_%

%_CURRENT_DATE_%
%_CURRENT_DATE_LONG_TIME_%
%_CURRENT_DATE_YEAR_%
%_CURRENT_DATE_MONTH_%
%_CURRENT_DATE_DAY_%
%_CURRENT_DATE_HOUR_%
%_CURRENT_DATE_HOUR12_%
%_CURRENT_DATE_MINUTE_%
%_CURRENT_DATE_SECOND_%
%_CURRENT_DATE_MILLISECOND_%
%_CURRENT_DATE_TOD_%

%_RTB_USER_%

%_TOUCH_INTERVAL_%

# reflects the servers internal number
%_SERVER_#_ADDRESS_%
%_SERVER_#_TYPELABEL_%
%_SERVER_#_{STRING PARAM}_% // {STRING PARAM} is any paramter pulled from a specific server entry (EX: %SERvER_1_EXTENDED_TUNE_INS_% for Steamcast)
%_SERVER_#_STATUS_%

# reflects the history entries list number
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_DATE_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_DATE_LONG_TIME_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_DATE_YEAR_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_DATE_MONTH_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_DATE_DAY_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_DATE_HOUR_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_DATE_HOUR12_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_DATE_MINUTE_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_DATE_SECOND_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_DATE_MILLISECOND_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_DATE_TOD_%

%_STATION_HISTORY_#_TRACK_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_ARTIST_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_TITLE_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_ALBUM_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_ALBUM_COVER_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_TRACK_DURATION_%
%_STATION_HISTORY_#_TRACK_RETRIEVAL_STATUS_%
- Jay
radiocampustours

Post by radiocampustours »

UP !

Hi, I have discovered a few hours ago this tool for radio. it seems to get answers to many of our needs especially for TuneIn. I am trying to send my id3 tags from my FM radio to my tunein account as they ask to send them apart. I am using notification editor and GET as lawlert88. Here under is the web address I use :

URL : http://air.radiotime.com/Playing.ashx?p ... ION_ARTIST_%

PAYLOAD : title=%_STATION_TITLE_%&artist=%_STATION_ARTIST_%

I have to fill payload otherwise I get an error : "Index out of range exception"

There a few things I do not understand. My Tunein account is well linked with my RTB through my notification editor but RTB sends %_STATION_TITLE_% and %_STATION_ARTIST_% raw to tuneIn instead of sending the name of the artist and the title.

Where can I feed my RTB from my nowplaying.txt in order to manage directly the title and artist tags to mywebsite and to TuneIn ?
hdprene

Post by hdprene »

Hi Radiocampustours!
I tried to get this Tune-in api working. All I get on Tune In is an extra frozen text: %_STATION_ARTIST_% %_STATION_SONG_% for a few minutes. Jay isn't very active on his site unfortunately so may I ask my question to you since it seems to work on your end.
Do you use shoutcast server 1.x and choose that and in the settings or left it blank?
Did you fill out your admin name and password of shoutcast server on the next tab or not?
Thanks for answering!

Regards René
The Great American Songbook Radio Station
Jay

Post by Jay »

Can you PM me your Tune in details, I have been unable to duplicate any of the problems reported here.

I would be happy to help more but I do not have access to the Tune in API. So my help is rather limited.
- Jay
hdprene

Post by hdprene »

Just PM'd you. I hope it's detailed enough and you're able to solve this. Regards, René
Jay

Post by Jay »

After getting some clarification from hdprene.

If anyone is still having this problem you need to make sure that the

URL settting IS ONLY:

Code: Select all

http://air.radiotime.com/Playing.ashx
Method is : GET

Payload is:

Code: Select all

partnerId=XXX&partnerKey=XXX&id=XXX&title=%_STATION_TITLE_%&artist=%_STATION_ARTIST_%
Payload is the only thing that will get parsed for station details.
- Jay
hdprene

Post by hdprene »

Hi Jay,
The result improved indeed :-) Still not perfect sadly enough. The result is until now is that it shows artist and song title just once correctly. After that it switches to song title and album title for some strange reason. Switching the order of &title=%_STATION_TRACK_%&artist=%_STATION_ARTIST_% into &artist=%_STATION_ARTIST_%&title=%_STATION_TRACK_% doesn't seem to help. After a while I get the idea that Tune-in itselfs blocks the get instructions because nothing shows up anymore. Hope you'll help me with this. I won't give in and will try some other variations today. Regards, René

P.S. The radio toolbox version v 2.1.1 build 300 which I run locally, doesn't show the artist too in: station, summery. Most of the times it just shows song and album. (album isn't required/filled out in the payload) Maybe this helps to find the solution. 8O
P.S. 2 When the Payload running ok, sometimes the artistname shows up twice, though I didn't change anything on my side. :roll:

http://tunein.com/radio/The-Great-Ameri ... k-s148726/
Jay

Post by Jay »

So when I wrote this, most Radio Stations do

Artist - Title

Radio Toolbox will try to determine all the information about a song based on that format. Where things get tricky is when things like

Artist - Some long Title - additional title stuff

Other issues

Artist - Title / Hello world (because Radio Toolbox uses - and / as divisors of track information. For 90% of SHOUTcast stations this works perfectly, but others who may get fancy with their meta data will definitely experience strange results. Unfortunately SHOUTcast v1 and Icecast 2 based on ICY MP3 will never be able to get this right. If you have an OGG stream then things get better however Radio Toolbox has difficulty determining which server to trust when the meta data doesn't line up. In the next version I think the best solution will be to trust streams that give us explicit data over those who give us ambiguous data. I am hoping to release the next version some time in November.
- Jay
hdprene

Post by hdprene »

Please take your time and don't take it personal. I really appreciate what you do Jay. Plus I'm a big no-no on this ;-)
It's just that the Xiialive player (less popular for some reason) is able to show the tags right on which I/You/We don't do anything extra to get that working :o Again, a really big thank you for what you do and cross my fingers for your next release in November!!!! Best regards, René

P.S. My stream runs in four formats; mp3, accplus on shoutcast and mp3 and ogg on Icecast.
iamnewborn

Post by iamnewborn »

Jay wrote:You would use the Notification feature with the URL supplied

Simply replace the relevant parts with one or more of the templates below

"%_STATION_NAME_%
%_STATION_LISTENERS_%
%_STATION_TRACK_%
Hello, is there a template variable that corresponds to the listener location? (as it displayed in "Listeners" tab)
I also want to catch this info on my web script.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Not currently, but it will be trivial to add. Look for it in the next release.
- Jay
worldfusionradio

Post by worldfusionradio »

I was able to find this thread through a Web search and it solves my problem. Thank you.
worldfusionradio

Post by worldfusionradio »

One improvement that would be lovely is if this could somehow run server side rather than client side. The radiotoolbox.com logs are taking in the track information, can it also relay the info to TuneIn?

Thanks, I've been a fan of RadioToolbox for many years.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Sure we could conceivably do that but the problem is that the online log is a free service. While we try our best to keep things going for free for you guys, the backlash if it ever went down would be awful. At this point the Radio Toolbox client puts the responsibility with you. The user. If your computer crashes or goes offline while updating Tune-In you can easily resolve the issue. We just don't have the support staffing to handle that kind of responsibility.

If one day Radio Toolbox could actually be a commercial venture, we will reconsider this position.
- Jay