In Radio Toolbox the account is inactive

Ask questions, request features, or just complement us about our software and services.
NYEngineer

Re: In Radio Toolbox the account is inactive

Post by NYEngineer »

Would there be any possible work arounds for XP systems?

I'll have to try running this in Virtual Machine and prepare for when the world abandons XP altogether.
Max

Post by Max »

Windows XP's end of life was back in April of 2014. It is missing vital updates to security that have happened since even before that date.

Windows XP only supports TLS 1.0 with very dated RC4 or 3DES ciphers. The browsers ship with their own SSL implementations but even they have stopped support of XP. Chrome ended support summer of 2016. Firefox just made XP enter a "extended support" release branch. And they intend to fully cut support in September 2017.

The only method around this issue is to upgrade your operating system to Windows 7 or above. Vista just entered end of life as well. We highly recommend upgrading due to the security holes now present in Windows XP which are only going to get worse with time.
NYEngineer

Post by NYEngineer »

Well certain machines will run just horribly slow with an upgraded OS. I made the mistake of allowing a Win7 machine to upgrade to Win10. It ran slower with Win10 than it did with Win7. Plus there are hardware verses drivers issue with legacy machines....so again just simply upgrading can't happen with certain machines. I don't know if you are familiar with VM ( Virtual Machine ), that is a work around for those of us using legacy machines. If you happen to have an old XP machine laying around, give it a try. It'll be a work around for those of us that just can't run out and get a new computer or upgrade OS's because the world says "we must upgrade". In VM I can run whatever OS needed to make software run because Bill Gates didnt create his Windows OS with all the proper securities from jump street. I've even had great luck using VM on a Win10 machine to run legacy software that will not run in newer systems.
So keep Virtual Machine in mind for future users to use to run Radio Toolbox.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

Well the biggest issue for you and for us with Windows XP will be the lack of security. If we keep Windows XP support we allow for the possibility for your data to leak to others online. You could run a version of Radio Toolbox in a VM running Windows 7. We are very familiar with VM technology, this site and all of our services are shuffled around using VMs these days. While I agree it is annoying to see support leave for something that "just works" but we, as software developers in general, also have a responsibility to protect your data as it traverses the greater internet.

So our options are quite limited. We can create our own certificate store and library for modern encryption to get around XP no longer being updated, this is the approach that Firefox did. However then we are faced with the fact that XP itself is no longer being updated for regular exploits so then we have to also sandbox Radio Toolbox from the rest of the OS. That would take a lot of work and there are fewer and fewer users who use XP (4% of our users use XP right now). If Microsoft continued to support it, it wouldn't be an issue for us and we could keep supporting it.
- Jay