Trying to find the most effective method to stream!

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
haynest

Trying to find the most effective method to stream!

Post by haynest »

Hello everyone. After A LOT of research I am trying to find the best way for my buddy and I to run an internet radio station with live broadcasting. We got the music and equipment. The voice and music are coming from the machine straight to the pc and out to the net. After doing the research it looks like I need just a basic encoder "because my music is not coming from the computer" and a server so that people can catch our live feed. I am so frustrated after looking up prices for the various software through microsoft and real networks. Tons of people are doing this so I know that we can get this think rollin' for less than $5000 in software! Could I get some thoughts on this process?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

you can use SHOUTcast, the tools are completely free.
- Jay
haynest

Post by haynest »

Yeah, I have been reading a lot of information in these forums and I am definitely leaning toward shoutcast. I have a few questions though. I have read some other users info about bandwidth issue. Is there a calculator out there or website that can help me determine how many listeners can pick up my feed if I were to build the server myself here at my home and then get a 4mbps or 7mbps high speed cable connection, as opposed to streaming everything to a server that people access the feed from?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

http://www.radiotoolbox.com/online_tools/bandwidth.php

under the Online Tools section of this site.
- Jay