Naiocast - Yet Another Mp3 Streaming Server

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
THEARTOFWEB

Naiocast - Yet Another Mp3 Streaming Server

Post by THEARTOFWEB »

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if there was anyone willing to test my sets of (CGI) Perl scripts for streaming. You can read up a little on it here:

http://www.theartofweb.net/txt/Naiocast/readme.html

below is a little excerpt:
Naiocast is a server for live mp3 audio streaming, similiar to Shoutcast. It is a sets of (CGI) perl scripts to set up your own web radio. It requires neither expensive dedicated servers nor compilation on the target machine.

It works on a normal web hosting (Linux). Also, due to the HTTP protocol used, you can stream data to server behind a NAT/Proxy/Firewall and your listeners can do the same.

A source client (Command Line) for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X is included for streaming to Naiocast Mediation Server using your preferred Shoutcast/Icecast source encoder. Nicecast by Rogue Amoeba is supported also.

It basically works by having Naiocast Source Client uploading the audio from your computer to Naiocast Mediation Server on your web server and when a user reach your web server the user's computer begins to stream it thinking it is downloading it and playing it in the same time.
You can download Naiocast here:

http://www.theartofweb.net/download/naiocast.zip

It works great on my Macintosh and my personal web site is streaming like it was a real Shoutcast server although it is a normal web hosting (Linux).

The thing is I would love you to tell me how it works on windows. I guess it should work as good as on Macintosh.

thanks
THEARTOFWEB

Re: Naiocast - Yet Another Mp3 Streaming Server

Post by THEARTOFWEB »

Naiocast/1.8 released today! http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/32300

Naiocast is a free Web based streaming media server, similar to SHOUTcast and Icecast. It currently supports MP3 audio streams only. It can be used to create an Internet Radio station or a privately running jukebox.

It requires neither expensive dedicated servers nor compilation on the target machine.

Naiocast, the project, includes:

Naiocast Server - It is capable of streaming MP3 content over the protocol used by SHOUTcast (sort of HTTP). It works on a normal web hosting (Linux). Apache is recommended as the most robust and full-featured server for running a Naiocast Server.

naioSC - a "source/sender client". It sends stream audio to a Naiocast Server to broadcast to clients. It runs tipically in the place where the audio is generated (e.g., a studio, your computer).

All you get is just 3 (CGI) Perl scripts: a sender (local), a receiver (remote), and a player (remote).

Broadcasting from one own computer would appeal to many casual users were they not to immediately encouter a Firewall/Router problem.

Broadcasting is almost always blocked until adjustments are made to the Firewall or the Router, causing many people to lose interest after they discover they have to deal with such a technical obstacle.

Naiocast lets you set up your Radio even if your network is behind many different Routers or Proxies.

Also, Naiocast allows you to transmit and listen in that network environment, typical in businesses, that use a Firewall to disable everything except web traffic, so no streaming is possible.

That is accomplished by using HTTP POST Method. It is kinda endless upload from your computer to a web server. As you probably know, you CAN upload stuff from your computer to a web server, although your computer is behind many different Routers or Proxies. That is because outbound port 80 (HTTP) is not blocked by default.

naioSC sends the stream from your computer to a Naiocast Server on the internet. Users connect to the Naiocast Server (not to your computer!) to listen to your stream. Thus, your IP address is not revealed.

Naiocast is an open source project written in Perl and released under the GNU General Public License.

You can get more on all of this at: http://www.theartofweb.net/txt/naiocast.html

What's new in this version:
* Brand new CORE written from the scratch
* ID3v2.3.0 for those clients not supporting ICY Tags
* Support for pls, xspf, m3u and ram files
* Up to a 5-second delay (the smallest audio latency ever)
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

I assume this requires some webserver architecture like apache or iis? I think it would be prudent to note that such systems would likely be unwelcome in a virtual host environment due to the bandwidth and resource consumption. Cool project though, a long time ago I did something similar in PHP. You should also set it up to relay existing servers.
- Jay
THEARTOFWEB

Post by THEARTOFWEB »

Jay wrote:I assume this requires some webserver architecture like apache or iis? I think it would be prudent to note that such systems would likely be unwelcome in a virtual host environment due to the bandwidth and resource consumption.
That is something I mentioned in the documentation file of my project:
Most shared hosting providers do not allow long-running background processes for a reason, and although one is certainly free to circumvent that, It is not something Naiocast is meant to come out in favor of. If you need dedicated hosting, you need dedicated hosting, it is an ethics issue not a software issue. If you just cannot afford a dedicated server, then Naiocast is the (only) way to go.