Newby with a few questions

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
Dj_pizzim

Newby with a few questions

Post by Dj_pizzim »

Ok i have all the stuff i need to broadcast through shoutcast but i have someone else hosting the web broadcast along with a radio broadcast for a show we do once a week. The problem is that his server sucks and it seams no one can ever listen. So here are the questions: I plan to have people on the net listen directly to our feed bay means of http://myip:8000/live.pls . The artical on how to do this from jay was very helpful but i wana make sure i understand. When i am broadcasting on shoutcast people can tune in when they click on my link now to hide my ip adress i would use:
[playlist]
Numberofentries=1
File1=http://myserverip:port/Live.pls
Title1=The Basement
Length1=-1
Version=2

When they click on this link will it be using the resources of my hosting server or my computer?

If it does use the resources of my computer about how many people would be able to listen if my bandwith is say 1300?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

PLS files are just pointer files so they don't mask anything, they just make it easier to access the stream.

The PLS file when you click on it is downloaded through your browser to your system, which executes the file. At that point a player specified to handle PLS files will launch to the stream indicated in the File Field.

As far as resource consumption, there will be hardly any resources used up to host the PLS file because it's just a small text file, once the player is launched there is no further contact to your webhost.

The computer running SHOUTcast will be the computer which will be giving out resources for connections.

You're going to have to be a little more specific, 1300KB or kbps? is this up or down, you need to know your upload bandwidth. and then what bitrate will you choose to broadcast.

To do the math your self just take the amount of upload bandwidth you have in kilo "bits" per second and then divide that by your stream bitrate, the quotient will be the amount of listeners you can handle (always round down)
- Jay