Mp3PRO

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
madmick

Mp3PRO

Post by madmick »

What are the pros and cons of mp3pro streaming?
If I encode a file at 96k mp3pro does a listener with the mp3pro plugin in winamp receive better quality audio than a file encoded at say 192k normal mp3? based on listening in at 24k.
Savings on banwidth are enormous as well as less space on ones hard drive.
Any ideas anyone on the best approach with regards to streaming?
risefm

Post by risefm »

Roughly you can say that mp3pro doubles the quality. If you listen to a 64k mp3pro encoded file it should sound like a normal 128k file.
That's about all i know about mp3pro.

However, another thing that jumped into my eyes was that you talked about saving diskspace. I would NEVER run anything lower than a 128k (normal encoded mp3) file through ANY encoding/streaming software. You get far better final quality for the listener if you keep your files on the hd in as good a quality as possible (i use at least 192k normal mp3 files) and then let's the encoder do the job and convert it to a lower mp3pro stream.
Alway keep your "source material" in as good a quality as possible or you risk the encoder/streamer makes it sound even worse. Best advice would be for you to test the different formats on a local shoutcast server and simply listen to what you think sounds best.
madmick

Post by madmick »

No I never transmit less than 192 for single files
and I nearly always use windows wav format for albums.
I t was just a general inquiry,thyanks for the reply anyways:)